Senior Specialist, Plan Design
Who Are We?
There are over 30M small businesses in the United States, but only a tiny fraction of them have a workplace savings program in place. As the savings gap in the country widens, it’s imperative that every worker has access to and participates in their company’s savings program, such as a 401(k) or 403(b). We believe that American workers should have easy access to an inexpensive, flexible, and intuitive solution to save for a brighter future.
Unfortunately, prior to Vestwell, small businesses have been neglected and underserved, with expensive, inflexible, poorly designed offerings built on old, mainframe software. Vestwell is changing that, starting with rebuilding the core infrastructure for the modern era.
Vestwell’s north star is to be the engine behind a $30T industry, powering all payroll-deducted workplace savings programs for small-to-midsize businesses, such as 401(k), 403(b), IRA, emergency savings accounts (ESA), health savings accounts (HSA), 529 college savings, and alike.
Vestwell’s focus is to build the most flexible, powerful workplace savings and investment platform, delivered through the hands and minds of their financial services partners with the help of payroll provider partners. The team at Vestwell makes the hard stuff look easy, by combining the expertise of financial advice with the sophistication of a technology provider.
As a result, workplace providers are able to bestow the advice and solution employers and employees have been asking for, while growing and scaling along the way. Employers get a cost-effective solution designed for their needs without all the headaches, and employees get a user-friendly portal that helps them achieve their long-term saving goals.
With backing from leading FinTech investors, as well as a growing team of dedicated professionals of strong industry pedigree, Vestwell is at the forefront of a much-needed change in a 40-year old industry. Our team believes in the mission we’ve set out to achieve and we are working hard to get there. We’re ambitious, honest, thoughtful, and fun.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Vestwell is expanding and we’re excited about adding a Plan Design Consultant to our Retirement Services team who is passionate about our mission to change the retirement FinTech space. At a high level, we’re looking for a dedicated consultant to support our Sales and Plan Design teams in plan design illustrations and consultation, as well as manage the transition for incoming plans through implementation. Ideally, you have spent over 8 years working with sponsors, recordkeepers and/or TPAs and have dedicated some time servicing the plan design, compliance and plan document sides of 401(k) plan servicing.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
As a Plan Design Consultant, you will play a pivotal role in supporting our Sales and Plan Design teams. Your responsibilities will include plan design consultations, plan design reviews, drafting plan documents aligned with Vestwell platform capabilities, and ensuring a seamless transition from Plan Design to Implementation for incoming clients.
Day-To-Day, You Will Also Be Expected To:
- Plan Design Consultation - Collaborate with Plan Sponsors to create optimal defined contribution plan designs, addressing queries, and ensuring a clear understanding of chosen plan specifications.
- Illustration support - Provide swift and detailed plan analysis, including profit sharing and safe harbor design comparisons, offering commentary to support recommendations.
- Plan document review - Support sales in conversion contract considerations by performing a plan spec review against supported and outsourced design models; capture plan design conversations and decisions from presale, sale, and onboarding processes to create new plan documents
- Subject matter expertise - Support team members with process reviews, research, and documentation related to plan design, plan proposals and onboarding.
- Project management - Ensure a smooth transfer of incoming plans from Sales to Implementations.
- Plan document creation - Perform plan restatement evaluations, including prior plan document to restated plan document mid-year change assessments, protected benefit analysis, and alignment with Vestwell platform requirements.
- On-call support - Provide live support for team members, clients, and advisors to discuss plan design suggestions or required changes.
- Product support - Contribute to discussions with product and engineering teams to continually iterate on our technology supported design & onboarding processes.
- Strong commitment to delivering superior service.
- Considerable background in defined contribution/qualified plan experience including sales support, design consultation, document drafting, and non-discrimination testing.
- Thorough understanding of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Department of Labor (DOL), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations
- Keen attention to detail, deadlines, and customer service needs.
- Collaborative approach with internal stakeholders and with clients to clearly communicate the process, timing, and plan design considerations of new and restated plans.
- Strong commitment to proactively managing workload.
- Positive, collaborative, and proactive attitude.
- Proficiency with Excel and Microsoft Office suite; Google Workspace; cloud-based client portals and internal network drives.
- Knowledge of one or more non-discrimination testing systems (Ft William, Datair, ASC, Sungard Relius)
- Knowledge of one or more plan document drafting systems (e.g., FT William, Datair, ASC, Sungard Relius)
- Qualified 401(k) Administrator (QKA) or higher credential from ASPPA
The expected salary range for this position is 90-102k Please note that salary bands are based on NY and other similar metro areas and may differ based on where the role is ultimately hired.
Attention California residents: In the course of conducting our business and complying with federal, state, and local government regulations governing such matters as employment, tax, insurance, etc., we must collect Personal Information from you. Should you accept employment with Vestwell you may view our California Privacy Rights Act here Vestwell’s California Privacy Rights Policy
We’re a growth stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and in addition to a dedicated Employee Wellbeing Committee, we offer competitive health coverage and an open vacation policy. We have adopted a remote-hybrid office policy, but all employees are welcome at our bright, comfortable office with many workspace options in midtown Manhattan so everyone has a setting that is the most productive for them. We provide our team with all the equipment they need (plus a few perks!) to work effectively remotely. Oh, and naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!