Associate, Data Engineer
Who Are We?
There are over 30M small businesses in the United States, but only a tiny fraction of them have a workplace savings program in place. As the savings gap in the country widens, it’s imperative that every worker has access to and participates in their company’s savings program, such as a 401(k) or 403(b). We believe that American workers should have easy access to an inexpensive, flexible, and intuitive solution to save for a brighter future.
Unfortunately, prior to Vestwell, small businesses have been neglected and underserved, with expensive, inflexible, poorly designed offerings built on old, mainframe software. Vestwell is changing that, starting with rebuilding the core infrastructure for the modern era.
Vestwell’s north star is to be the engine behind a $30T industry, powering all payroll-deducted workplace savings programs for small-to-midsize businesses, such as 401(k), 403(b), IRA, emergency savings accounts (ESA), health savings accounts (HSA), 529 college savings, and alike.
Vestwell’s focus is to build the most flexible, powerful workplace savings and investment platform, delivered through the hands and minds of their financial services partners with the help of payroll provider partners. The team at Vestwell makes the hard stuff look easy, by combining the expertise of financial advice with the sophistication of a technology provider.
As a result, workplace providers are able to bestow the advice and solution employers and employees have been asking for, while growing and scaling along the way. Employers get a cost-effective solution designed for their needs without all the headaches, and employees get a user-friendly portal that helps them achieve their long-term saving goals.
With backing from leading FinTech investors, as well as a growing team of dedicated professionals of strong industry pedigree, Vestwell is at the forefront of a much-needed change in a 40-year old industry. Our team believes in the mission we’ve set out to achieve and we are working hard to get there. We’re ambitious, honest, thoughtful, and fun.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The Engineering team is seeking an Associate Data Engineer, eager to learn and grow in our data landscape. You should be enthusiastic about the world of data, willing to contribute to our Reporting stack, and excited to partner with more experienced engineers to deepen your knowledge and skills.
You’re a great fit for our team if you're curious, committed, and eager to learn. While you might not have vast experience yet, your passion for data engineering and its potential impact stands out. That's what we value the most.
Day to day, you may additionally…
- Assist in maintaining our data pipeline architecture
- Help in assembling data sets that meet both functional and non-functional business requirements.
- Support the creation of infrastructure required for data extraction, loading, and transformation from various data sources
- Contribute to analytics tools that leverage the data warehouse to provide insights into business performance metrics
- Collaborate with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, and Operations teams to assist in their data infrastructure needs
- Receive training and guidance from senior engineers and participate in code reviews to further your development skills
- Open to recent graduates or those with up to 2 years of experience in a Data Engineer or related role
- Familiarity with SQL and experience working with relational databases
- Experience with Python programming
- Exposure to or eagerness to learn about data pipelines and their optimization
- Interest in processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management
- Basic understanding or willingness to learn about Snowflake Cloud Computing and various AWS services such as EMR, Glue, S3, and EC2
- Analytical mindset with a propensity for working with data sets, structured or unstructured
- Curiosity about message queueing, stream processing, and scalable data stores
- Excellent team player and interested in working collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Experience with Snowflake database
- Experience with ETL/ELT tools such as FiveTran, DBT, etc.
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, MetaBase, Looker, etc.
- CS or related Data Analytics Degree
We’re a growth stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and in addition to a dedicated Employee Wellbeing Committee, we offer competitive health coverage and an open vacation policy. We have adopted a remote-hybrid office policy, but all employees are welcome at our bright, comfortable office with many workspace options in midtown Manhattan so everyone has a setting that is the most productive for them. We provide our team with all the equipment they need (plus a few perks!) to work effectively remotely. Oh, and naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!