Staff Engineer - Machine Learning, NLP (Remote)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2023
We are seeking a Staff Machine Learning Engineer to join our platform architecture team. This role is an opportunity to apply state-of-the-art ML that will shape the future of scientific discovery. You will be a key player in accomplishing BenchSci's mission to exponentially increase the speed and quality of like-saving research and development. Your work will have an impact on thousands of scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research.
Reporting to the Head of the Platform Architecture Group, you will work on complex and challenging ML architectures (model level and data pipeline level). You will be responsible for the high-level design of technical solutions end to end. You will work closely with our ML teams, provide guidance and mentorship, and set the technical direction throughout the ML Development Lifecycle.
BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada.
- Join the Platform Architecture Group, collaborate with Staff Engineers and architects and provide high-level end-to-end solution design for the company’s mission critical initiatives.
- Design ML Architecture across multiple ML and Data Teams in order to build robust, scalable and production-ready solutions that enhance the speed and quality of life-saving research.
- Write, review and approve ML and Data technical documentation to ensure quality and accuracy of performance and results.
- Contribute to the ML and Data roadmap by ensuring project proposals are both highly impactful and technically feasible.
- Continuously improve our workflows by keeping up to date with the latest optimizations in libraries such as PyTorch, and expand our usage of modern tools such as DVC.
- Own ML solutions and long-term technical investments that will drive innovation at BenchSci.
- Lead technical design discussions, apply best practices, diagnose problems and lead the resolution while fostering an inclusive environment.
- Participate and contribute to Agile grooming, planning and estimation.
- Promote the definition of coding guidelines and raise the bar for code quality using tools such as SonarCloud.
- Provide guidance to senior engineers and help to foster a culture of continuous growth.
- Work cross functionally with different stakeholders including BenchSci's R&D scientists to learn, model, and capture the nuances of biology.
- At least 8 years of professional experience applying ML techniques to solve business problems, with at least 2 years at a Staff Engineer level.
- Strong experience with NLP and LLMs.
- Strong experience with Python and programming fundamentals.
- Extensive experience with PyTorch.
- Track record of successfully delivering robust, scalable and production-ready ML models.
- Experience with the full ML development lifecycle from architecture and technical design, through data collection and preparation, model selection, training and evaluation, to deployment and maintenance.
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, such as SQL or pandas. Experience with Cloud solutions and Cloud architecture, in particular with MLOps, DataOps and data warehouses.
- Experience leading technical design discussions, writing and reviewing technical design documents and providing technical guidance and directions.
- Ability to reason about trade-offs and make technical decisions under a certain level of uncertainty. Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- A growth mindset and a constant desire to learn.
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.