Elm Design Systems Engineer
Vendr helps people buy and sell software without friction. As the creator and leader of the SaaS buying category, Vendr has saved companies millions of dollars across tens of thousands of software purchases.
If you're eager to advance in your career and are committed to establishing a fair and transparent software purchasing ecosystem supported by top-notch data, you’ve come to the right place.
Our headquarters is in Boston, Mass., with locations in Charleston, S.C and London, England. We have over 250 employees globally who work both in-person and remotely.
At Vendr, our culture serves our team to deliver their best work. We prioritize being data-driven and transparent in our approach, focusing on velocity. We believe in doing what's right, not prioritizing who is right. We cultivate a curious mindset to seek out the truth and share data with those who can benefit.
Above all, kindness is at the core of our culture, where generosity and consideration for others are highly valued. In everything we do, honesty and transparency are paramount, as they're essential in building trust with our customers and one another.
→ Learn more about our values.
Since 2019, we have:
Managed billions in software spend on behalf of our customers
Saved hundreds of millions of dollars for our customers across tens of thousands of software negotiations
Provided our customers with unprecedented visibility into their software stacks, enabling them to identify opportunities for improvement and cost savings
Utilized our industry-leading data to make the SaaS buying process more clear, transparent and accessible
Assisted our customers in developing a data-driven approach to SaaS purchasing
Collaborated with professionals in finance, IT, procurement, and department heads to enhance their process maturity and modernize their business processes
We want you to join us on our mission to fix how companies buy SaaS. We want to hear from you if you're looking for an opportunity to make a significant impact, solve interesting challenges, and help hundreds of customers. Join Vendr's pioneering teams and help transform how companies discover, purchase, and manage software.
We are in search of a Staff Frontend Engineer to spearhead the continuous evolution of Vendr's design system. Leveraging your expertise in Elm, your passion for designing and building systems, and an eye for user experience design, you will collaborate closely with UX/UI designers, translating a shared vision into reusable components that align with our brand ethos. Your commitment to excellence ensures that our design system and component library is a powerful catalyst for design and engineering teams.
- Lead the continuous evolution of our design system by partnering with UX/UI designers to transform their visions into reusable components, ensuring design consistency and alignment with our brand ethos.
- Craft comprehensive living documentation, offering clear guidelines and best practices for both designers and developers while maintaining a collaborative spirit.
- Build a strong architectural foundation and iteratively enhance our design system informed by a deep understanding of overall product vision and needs for flexibility.
- Champion our design system across the organization by educating teams on its benefits, ensuring consistent application is low friction, and establishing a robust feedback loop with design and engineering teams.
- Contribute to broader engineering initiatives with a focus on creating seamless and delightful user experiences that are supported by effective software architecture.
- Demonstrate strong collaboration skills and the ability to navigate complex projects across different teams and disciplines.
This role is remote. You must work in US or EMEA time zones.
We're looking for a candidate with:
- Strong software development background with experience creating efficient and maintainable code, with a strong preference for previous experience with Elm
- Previous experience creating and building design systems.
- Proficiency with language and frameworks used to develop reusable web-based components, ideally Elm and Storybook.
- Significant experience designing and building systems that scale and drive efficiency
- Strong synchronous and asynchronous communication skills for effective collaboration across the organization with eagerness to engage with teammates by working in open and transparent ways.
- Experience developing and evolving living documentation for complex software systems.
- The ability to identify opportunities for improvement and advocate for changes that accelerate the team and Vendr’s mission.
Our web application consists of the following:
- A client-side single-page Elm application
- A GraphQL API served by AWS Lambda
- A TypeScript backend
- A PostgreSQL database
How to apply
We aim to make the application process a good experience. Here’s what the full set of steps looks like:
- Written application
- A phone screen with someone on the hiring team
- Two 90-minute technical interviews
To get started, complete the below application. We read every application, and your responses will help us put your experience into context. We strive to provide feedback at each step of your application process, whether or not we move forward.
Diversity and inclusion
Vendr is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all of its forms, and we hire the best person we can for each role, no matter your personal background.
Research tells us that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for.
If you think you meet more than 50% of our requirements but fewer than 100% of them, please apply. Think of our job postings as the starting point for discussion.
- We’re a disruptor - we’re changing the way SaaS is purchased and managed
- We have the right value proposition at this time, (we save companies time and money and help them grow efficiently)
- We’re a startup with durable growth
- We have great people and a strong culture, (check out our values here)
- Competitive pay & benefits **applicable to U.S. employees, ask our team for details on our International benefits**
- Medical, Dental, Vision with company paid premiums
- HSA contribution
- Flexible/unlimited PTO
- 12 paid company holidays in addition to PTO
- 4% 401k matching
- WFH stipend
- Education & wellness reimbursement
- All Mac environment