Staff Software Engineer- Technical lead- Platform
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. Because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast is looking for a Technical lead to join our Identity Management team to play a critical role in developing reliable code and algorithms in our user management, permission, and web services. We are looking for an engineer who has the ability and drive to make an impact, not only on their own but by also enabling those around them to succeed. Partnering with stakeholders, product managers, product designers, product data analysts, and other engineers, you will be part of a team responsible for ensuring that our practices in the development of our platform are safe and secure. You will also be responsible for developing and maintaining core services and repositories in Toast, including integrations, managing users, authentication, and permissions. The Toast platform processes tens of millions of requests per day, and this number grows constantly as we add new restaurants and integration partners to our system. The services we develop on this team are essential for Toast’s operation and their resilience and reliability are crucial from a business and user perspective.
If you want to help create something tangible that is used every day, help small businesses achieve their vision, and take on the challenge of scaling a SaaS product from millions of users to hundreds of millions of users, Toast is the place for you.
About This Roll* (Responsibilities)
- Drive execution of complex technical projects with many stakeholders
- Be part of a team working collaboratively with UX, PM, QA and other engineers designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable microservices, as well as development of web and mobile applications
- Mentor and guide your peers to deliver with excellence, while also learning from their diverse experiences
- Define best practices and help choose technologies to evolve our current tech. stack while writing world-class applications
- Championing best practices such as quality integration and unit testing
- Provide design feedback and participate in code reviews to ensure implementations meet requirements
- Ensure that all work done is delivered with quality and is appropriately monitored and supported in production
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Qualities & Essential Skills)
- 8+ years of software engineering experience in Java or Kotlin with a deep understanding of testing, quality & best practices.
- An interest in functional programming, such as Kotlin, Java 8 Lambdas, Scala etc.
- Exposure to distributed systems, scaling challenges, SaaS, SQL, JS, & Pulsar are a plus.
- Experience supporting and debugging a large multi threaded application.
- The capacity to tackle complex and ambiguous problems, communicate clearly with others to solve the problem, and share knowledge to help the whole team succeed.
- Prior experience making an impact on a previous project, product or within an organization.
- Experience working in a team with Agile/Scrum methodology
- You are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- You have a passion for making your peers more productive and efficient
- You have a growth mindset with an emphasis on learning and self/team-improvement
- You are organized, and enjoy collaborating with and leading other engineers to produce great outcomes
- Not required, but previous experience with Android/mobile development or experience in modern web standards and technologies (e.g. HTML5, React, GraphQL) would also be a plus
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters’ changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!