Principal Data Scientist - Fintech Lending/Capital
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast is looking to expand the Data Science team to deliver new Data Science models to meet Toast Capital/Lending increased demands. As a Principal Data Scientist, you will bring senior data science technical leadership with domain expertise in lending to the Capital Data Science team. An ideal candidate has wealth of experience in banking lending technology or a leading fintech company with substantial depth of expertise and knowledge in lending underwriting, and risk management models.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Lead the development and implementation of advanced predictive models, to assess credit risk, optimize lending growth, and improve overall portfolio performance.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including Risk Management, Product, Engineering, and Business Strategy, to identify opportunities for leveraging data-driven insights to support growth and risk mitigation initiatives.
- Design, develop, and maintain innovative credit risk and lending growth strategies that align with the organization's objectives, while ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Monitor and analyze the performance of existing models and strategies, identifying areas for improvement and implementing data-driven refinements as needed.
- Present complex data-driven insights and recommendations to stakeholders in a clear, concise, and actionable manner, while fostering a data-driven culture within the organization.
- Mentor and guide junior data scientists, fostering a collaborative environment and promoting the growth and development of the data science team.
- Stay current with the latest trends and developments in data science, fintech, and credit risk management, continually exploring new methods and technologies to enhance the organization's capabilities.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Advanced degree in quantitative field such as Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering or related discipline
- 8+ years of experience in data science, with a focus on credit risk modeling and lending growth strategies, preferably within the fintech lending space.
- Proficiency in machine learning, AI, and statistical modeling techniques, with a strong track record of developing and deploying successful predictive models in a business setting.
- Strong proficiency in Python and SQL and experience with data science libraries and tools such as: Spark, Scala, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, XGBoost etc.
- Familiarity with standard software engineering practices and tools including object-oriented programming, test-driven development, CI/CD, git, task orchestration (Airflow) and AWS tooling
- Strong understanding of credit risk management, lending practices, and regulatory requirements within the financial industry.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate complex data-driven insights to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong leadership skills, with experience mentoring and guiding junior data scientists
- Passion for research and curiosity that calls you to go beyond “good enough” to create something innovative and exciting
- Self starter who loves to dig into different kinds of data to solve business problems and can communicate their findings to cross-functional stakeholders
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters’ changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Something looks off?