Image Processing Staff Scientist
ABOUT SINGULAR GENOMICS
Singular Genomics is inventing at the forefront of genomics, one of the world’s fastest-growing industries. We are a publicly traded life science technology company that is leveraging novel, next-generation sequencing (NGS) and multi-omics technologies to build products that empower researchers and clinicians. The G4 Sequencing Platform, our first commercially available product, is a powerful, highly versatile benchtop genomic sequencer designed to produce fast and accurate results. In development, the PX system leverages Singular’s proprietary sequencing technology, applying it as an in-situ readout to look at RNA and proteins in single cells and tissue.
We are committed to unlocking the potential of our core technologies to reshape the future of genomics. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, results-oriented environment where employees can make a significant impact in a rapidly expanding company. Innovation, continuous learning, multi-disciplinary collaboration, and diversity of thought are pillars of our culture.
Our Headquarters are located on the Torrey Pines Mesa, in La Jolla, California at the center of the biotech hub. Our Manufacturing facility is in Sorrento Valley. This role reports to our Torrey Pines location but can be remote.
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual that can think innovatively and has a track record of solving problems effectively while delivering results. The Image Processing Staff Scientist will head research and development of high-speed image processing and data analysis algorithms for in situ data.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with (1) cell segmentation; (2) three-dimensional data processing and visualization, (3) understanding of parallel computing and analysis of big data (4) image processing for single molecule microscopy applications; (5) secondary analysis of spatial data (multicolor fluorescence). Experience processing single molecule FISH or in situ sequencing data is a strong plus. Other relevant experience can include analysis of spatial transcriptomics, super-resolution microscopy, or in situ hybridization imaging data. They will have experience leading teams of scientists and engineers to develop and deliver innovative image processing and computer vision solutions to real-world problems.
- PhD in Biology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics or related field.
- 7+ years of experience post-PhD in image analysis for biological imaging, including cell segmentation.
- Strong foundation in mathematics, computational modeling, algorithm development, statistics, and information theory.
- Expertise developing algorithms for high-speed image processing.
- Solid understanding of modern software architecture.
- Experience developing applications and libraries with Python in an industrial environment.
- Experience working with terabyte-sized dataset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; team player.
- Microscopy data acquisition for microbiology.
- Localization microscopy, spatial transcriptomics, super-resolution microscopy, and/or particle tracking analysis in a microbiology context.
- Publication record in the areas of microscopy, image analysis, and microbiology.
- Applied microscopy and optics theory.
- Developing algorithms with C++.
- Developing algorithms for GPUs using CUDA or OpenCL.
What any given day would entail:
- Designing and testing algorithms for complex, high-speed image processing applications with specific considerations for spatial transcriptomics
- Generate algorithms and software modules for primary analysis of spatial biology data
- Perform work in coordination with the image processing team to meet the goals of the business, and set overall direction and vision
- Working closely with the high-performance computing team to translate prototype algorithms to production code
- Interacting with teams in bioinformatics, optics, systems integration, and molecular biology
The estimated base salary range for this role based in the United States of America is: $134,500 - $190,900. Compensation decisions are dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, an individual’s qualifications, location where the role is to be performed, internal equity, and alignment with market data. Should the level of the role change during the hiring process, the applicable salary range may be updated accordingly. Additionally, all employees are eligible for one of our variable cash programs (bonus or commission) and eligible roles may receive equity as part of the compensation package.
Singular Genomics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note: Singular Genomics does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Singular Genomics employees.