Staff Automation Controls Engineer
ABOUT SINGULAR GENOMICS
Singular Genomics is inventing at the forefront of genomics, one of the world’s fastest-growing industries. We are a publicly traded life science technology company that is leveraging novel, next-generation sequencing (NGS) and multi-omics technologies to build products that empower researchers and clinicians. The G4 Sequencing Platform, our first commercially available product, is a powerful, highly versatile benchtop genomic sequencer designed to produce fast and accurate results. In development, the PX system leverages Singular’s proprietary sequencing technology, applying it as an in-situ readout to look at RNA and proteins in single cells and tissue.
We are committed to unlocking the potential of our core technologies to reshape the future of genomics. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, results-oriented environment where employees can make a significant impact in a rapidly expanding company. Innovation, continuous learning, multi-disciplinary collaboration, and diversity of thought are pillars of our culture.
Our Headquarters are located on the Torrey Pines Mesa, in La Jolla, California at the center of the biotech hub. Our Manufacturing facility is in Sorrento Valley. This role will split time between the two locations as needed, while being primarily based at the headquarters location in La Jolla.
The Automation Engineering Team combines the fields of systems design engineering, process engineering, machine design, robotics, and computer and software engineering to produce systems that are capable of rapid, reliable automated manufacture of product above and beyond what is possible with manual production. As a Staff Automation Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the design, documentation, procurement, fabrication, testing, and recursive scaling and improvement of control systems for internally and externally sourced manufacturing automation. Project areas will be in product assembly, QC, and packaging systems for sequencing platform consumables, including support of the design of production fixturing, expansion of scalable automation, and the validation of deployed equipment.
- Take ownership of the design and/or procurement of automated control systems for internally and externally sourced production equipment.
- Identify, engage, and work in close collaboration with all project stakeholders to develop automation controls requirements.
- Create, maintain, and communicate an executing workflow so that stakeholders know when and what to expect from project to project.
- Create estimates for budget, resources, and schedule required to complete planned efforts.
- Architect, design, procure, build, qualify, deploy, and transfer automated manufacturing tools.
- Maintain an uncompromising and continuously improving level of build and coding quality.
- Design controls systems according to GAMP principles and local/federal/state codes.
- Consult on product development as a primary automation stakeholder.
- Create tools, procedures, and processes to codify best practices and minimize future NRE.
- Create and leverage simulations of automated processes in down selection of design concepts.
- Create proposals detailing controls system designs that will improve existing systems.
- Assemble and/or make slight modifications to control enclosures.
- Draft, revise, and finalize verification protocol test cases.
- High throughput manufacturing automation experience required – including:
- Bachelors in an engineering discipline plus 7-10+ years of experience creating PLC code for custom automated manufacturing systems.
- Demonstrated experience developing systems requirements for custom automated controls systems.
- Effective planning and communication skills.
- Highly developed competency in one or more of the following automation software platforms: Rockwell Automation, Beckhoff, Siemens TIA Portal, Beckhoff TwinCAT.
- HMI programming and integration focused on function and user experience.
- Closed & open loop steppers, AC/DC motors, servomotors, linear motors, and Drives.
- Precision/ bulk liquid dispense + product filling.
- Foil heat sealing and injection molded part heat staking.
- Precision, rapid small parts handling.
- Machine vision, vision QC, visual inspection routines.
- Gravimetric QC, weigh cells/scales, check weigh systems and protocols.
- COTS and/or custom robot integration with industrial controls.
- Experience with statistical process monitoring and control using Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) methodologies desired.
- Experience programming controls for independent cart conveyors a plus.
- Experience creating Digital Twin for an automated manufacturing process a plus.
- Experience working with and/or creating SCADA systems a plus.
- Broad PLC coding capabilities desired - Ladder / ST / FBD / SFC.
- Demonstrated leadership and technical mentorship aptitude required.
- MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook knowledge required.
- Experience or familiarity with 21 CFR Part 11 requirements a plus.
- Experience with engineering change control processes / ECM.
- Familiarity with GIT Hub and software development experience a plus, but not required.
The estimated base salary range for this role based in the United States of America is: $108,500 - $151,200. Compensation decisions are dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, an individual’s qualifications, location where the role is to be performed, internal equity, and alignment with market data. Should the level of the role change during the hiring process, the applicable salary range may be updated accordingly. Additionally, all employees are eligible for one of our variable cash programs (bonus or commission) and eligible roles may receive equity as part of the compensation package.
Singular Genomics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note: Singular Genomics does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Singular Genomics employees.