Staff Mechanical Engineer
ABOUT SINGULAR GENOMICS
Singular Genomics is inventing at the forefront of genomics, one of the world’s fastest-growing industries. We are a publicly traded life science technology company that is leveraging novel, next-generation sequencing (NGS) and multi-omics technologies to build products that empower researchers and clinicians. The G4 Sequencing Platform, our first commercially available product, is a powerful, highly versatile benchtop genomic sequencer designed to produce fast and accurate results. In development, the PX system leverages Singular’s proprietary sequencing technology, applying it as an in-situ readout to look at RNA and proteins in single cells and tissue.
We are committed to unlocking the potential of our core technologies to reshape the future of genomics. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced, results-oriented environment where employees can make a significant impact in a rapidly expanding company. Innovation, continuous learning, multi-disciplinary collaboration, and diversity of thought are pillars of our culture.
Our Headquarters are located on the Torrey Pines Mesa, in La Jolla, California at the center of the biotech hub. Our Manufacturing facility is in Sorrento Valley. This role reports to our HQ location.
As a Staff Mechanical Engineer, you will work with your peers in science and engineering to architect, design and develop mechanical systems and sub systems for sophisticated scientific instrumentation. Primary responsibilities for this position are to design, build, and test custom mechanical assemblies for biomedical instruments.
As part of a small and dynamic team, the candidate will be capable of multi-disciplinary contribution, i.e., participate in the definition and design of optical/electrical/mechanical subsystems. This position is ideally suited to a candidate who is self-motivated and excited by a startup environment where opportunity to rise to frequent and diverse challenges is commonly encountered.
- Work closely with members of the R&D team, with expertise in organic chemistry, surface chemistry, biochemistry, enzyme engineering, physics, micro-fluidics, optics, signal processing and engineering.
- Translate high level design requirements and specifications into detailed requirements, specifications, CAD models, detailed design drawings, prototypes and final products.
- Supervise vendors in the development and delivery of mechanical parts, components and subsystems.
- Write and execute detailed test plans.
- Conduct mechanical systems analysis and simulation; tolerance, thermal, vibration, fatigue etc.
- Work with other engineers and scientists to assemble, test, evaluate and conduct iterative improvement on prototype systems.
- Contribute relevant information toward product and technical documentation.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or comparable accredited technical degree.
- Proficient in SolidWorks; modeling, assemblies, drawing preparation, use of PDM and version control.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in mechanical design.
- Thorough understanding of GD&T and ASME Y14.5M.
- Knowledge of metal fabrication processes and capabilities, DFM, and tooling design. Knowledge of plastic part design, injection molding, and processing.
- Experience with high precision motion control.
- Experience with fluidic systems; pumps, valves, connection systems.
- Experience developing high precision scientific instrumentation.
- Experience with design of opto-mechanical systems or high-resolution microscopy systems a plus.
- This position requires soft skills to be part of a cross-functional team, with excellent written & oral communication and presentation skills.
The estimated base salary range for this role based in the United States of America is: $108,500 - $161,000. Compensation decisions are dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, an individual’s qualifications, location where the role is to be performed, internal equity, and alignment with market data. Should the level of the role change during the hiring process, the applicable salary range may be updated accordingly. Additionally, all employees are eligible for one of our variable cash programs (bonus or commission) and eligible roles may receive equity as part of the compensation package.
Singular Genomics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note: Singular Genomics does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Singular Genomics employees.