Gene Editing Principal Research Associate
Employer: Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
JOB TITLE: Gene Editing Principal Research Associate
LOCATION: 316-318 Northern Avenue, Boston, MA 02210
DUTIES: Responsible for independent research initiatives, including the testing of CRISPR-Cas gene editing tools in cellular models of disease; Apply technical proficiency and attention to detail skills in “troubleshooting”, and ability to interpret changes in methodological design; Work with supervisor in setting the objectives of independent initiatives but has responsibility for some experimental design; Design, execute, and interpret experiments, with a high degree of reliability and independence; Exercise emerging judgment to help prioritize studies, based on project impact; Perform basic data analysis and visualization of experimental data; Conduct own experimental troubleshooting and improve workflows on a routine basis; Assist with regulatory document and patent submission processes; Prepare lucid standard operating protocols and written study report; Survey relevant scientific literature to maintain awareness of issues and trends within the field; Present studies effectively at internal group and department or cross-department project team research meetings; deploy to investigations with more significant consequences and need for reliability; operating liquid handling robotics, including Hamilton Vantage and Agilent Bravo systems, to generate high-quality data in a highthroughput manner; and Present critical result to leadership and contribute to report writing.
REQUIREMENTS: The position requires a Master’s degree, or foreign equivalent, in BioTechnology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or a related field plus two (2) years of experience in the job offered or a related occupation. Position also requires demonstrable experience with each of the following:
- Demonstrable experience with testing of CRISPR-Cas gene editing tools in cellular models of disease;
- Demonstrated understanding of analysis and interpretation of relatively complex experimental data with proficiency in problem solving and protocol refinement;
- Performing in vitro and cell-based studies to develop novel CRISPR-based gene therapies for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy or related muscular dystrophy;
- Applying molecular and cell biology techniques to screen/identify lead guide RNA candidates;
- Conducting and developing extensive Next-Generation-Sequencing assays, including Amplicon-sequencing, to assess On- and Off-Target gene editing efficiency;
- Conducting large-scale guide RNA screening in vitro;
- Growing commonly used cells and disease relevant primary cells in tissue culture;
- Purifying nucleic acids from different sources using state-of-the-art technologies;
- Analyzing nucleic acid quantity and quality with real-time PCR and gel/capillary electrophoresis;
- Measuring gene editing efficiency and indel profiles using Sanger Sequencing;
- Generating high-quality next-generation sequencing data using multiple Illumina instruments, including MiSeq;
- Troubleshoot challenges arising during protocol execution and identify opportunities for protocol and/or process improvement;
- Maintaining clear and complete experimental records to support regulatory filing (VXc nomination);
- Analyzing DNA and RNA sequences using scientific software, including SnapGene, UCSC and IGV genome browsers, and Blast/Blat; and
- Generating high-quality graphs for publication and presentation using Graphic Pad/Prism software.
CONTACT: Send Resume to Jessica Farley at Jessica_Farley@vrtx.com. Reference 12140.322. EOE.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.