Head of Market Transformation, US Pain Business Unit
Senior Director, Market Transformation, US Pain Business Unit
Vertex is seeking a talented leader to join our US Pain Business Unit to support our journey to bring forth new options for the treatment of pain. The Senior Director, US Pain Market Transformation will lead a team focused on market transformation for the US Pain Business Unit, which is preparing for potential commercialization of an investigational novel selective inhibitor of NaV1.8 in acute pain. We are seeking a candidate that drives acceleration of our work to transform the status quo in the market to ensure appropriate patients have broad access & rapid physical availability to VX-548. Specific challenges of focus for this role include the need to secure discharge protocol & hospital formulary inclusion, timely availability of product in the channel through retail pharmacies, and timely delivery to acute pain patients. This individual will have an exceptional track record driving high degrees of cross functional collaboration and external stakeholder success to deliver for patients, demonstrated success in leading and developing high performing teams, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovation and compliance-focused environment. This role report to the Vice President of the US Pain Business Unit.
For more information about Vertex’s pain program, visit https://www.vrtx.com/research-development/pipeline/pain/. To learn more about working at Vertex and our commitment to a vibrant and inclusive culture, visit https://www.vrtx.com/working-here/inclusion-diversity-equity/.
- Develop framework for transformation of product access and availability with strong criteria for decision making
- Proactively identify and work with key provider customers to advance top-down access and utilization objectives for VX-548 through IDNs & hospitals
- Establish relationships between Vertex and key innovative pain-specific accounts, potentially including corporate anesthesia groups, national ASCs, and other potentials (e.g., sports groups, vertically integrated clinics, dentistry)
- Explore potential innovative distribution & care models (e.g., cost plus, telehealth/direct delivery)
- Evaluate, build, and deploy health informatics services to support hospital operations with formulary changes, discharge protocols, order sets & appropriate patient identification
- Role model and instill a culture of compliance focused on ethics and integrity in all we do
- Lead a newly-created internal IDN/hospital team to include access, marketing, distribution, and field leads including development and management of process to support engagements
- Partner with cross-functional local market field teams (SAL, RFL, USPA, USMA) to appropriately accelerate VX-548 access and utilization in target markets
- Builds, lead and coach direct reports focused on health informatics and corporate partnerships
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 12+ years of educational/work experience in healthcare/biopharmaceuticals in marketing, sales/account management, consulting, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- 5+ years of management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience defining strategy for market transformation and innovation, with strong experience with IDNs & hospitals preferred
- Strong innovation skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and courage to challenge the status quo to develop innovative and focused approaches to enable launch through data and technology
- Highly collaborative and able to influence effectively diverse stakeholders towards goals
- Experience leading teams, coaching individuals and creating excellent team culture
- Demonstrated understanding of legal, regulatory, and compliance requirements
- Analytical mindset, with ability to make strategic recommendations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to drive results through teams and external stakeholders
- Proficiency in building relationships with existing and potential new accounts
- Hybrid role based in Boston; Travel Requirements: Ability to travel 30%+
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.