Supervisor, Process Development Operations
Vertex has established a new research site in the Boston Seaport where research, development, and clinical manufacturing for cell and genetic therapies is primarily based. Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and type 1 diabetes. Investment in a research site specifically designed to advance these programs is key to Vertex’s continued and sustained leadership in these exciting approaches. At Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) our research teams bring together the best biology, technologies, and enhanced manufacturing capabilities to ensure we bring these cutting-edge transformative therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
Vertex is seeking a talented individual to join our Process Development /Engineering team. This group offers a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly collaborative environment making tremendous impact on our programs and for our patients. Our team focuses on bringing together the best of process design, scale-up and cutting-edge manufacturing technologies to enable the successful implementation of cell and gene therapeutics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a centralized media and solutions preparation team, providing technical expertise and guidance.
- Develop procedures and implement large scale media and buffer preparation protocols, tech transfer processes to manufacturing team.
- Perform established processes for Cell and Gene Therapy upstream bioprocessing including routine 2D & 3D cell culture of mammalian/ stem cells, expansion, and harvest operations.
- Generate and supply 2D cell culture, process intermediates, DS / DP material to Research, Process Development, Analytical teams.
- Establish a centralized inventory system for raw materials procured through internal and external sources to support process development teams
- Generate and review technical reports, SOP, tech transfer protocols, and maintain GLP documentation.
- A BS in Biochemistry, Engineering, Biology or related discipline with 7+ years of industry experience or an MS with 6+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience in large scale solution preparations such as media, buffers and intermediates in GLP or GMP setting
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is required to independently run upstream processes, experience with human pluripotent stem cell is preferred.
- Ability to supervise a small team of technicians while performing laboratory duties
- Flexibility to support weekend rotational work to support cell culture activities will be required.
- Experience with bioprocessing of cell therapy, viral vector products is preferred.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.