Senior Director, Cell and Gene Product Quality (Hybrid)
The Senior Director, Quality be responsible for the oversight of Product Quality/ External Manufacturing of Cell & Gene Programs. The role will be responsible for supporting the commercial transition of the Cell & Gene quality strategy to meet business, regulatory and operational requirements.
The is a critical role within Quality department responsible for managing CDMO partnerships to ensure that the company effectively and efficiently delivers medicines to patients. This role is also directly responsible for co-leading joint project teams with CDMO’s.
This position will be based in Vertex’s corporate headquarters in Boston, MA. This role will partner closely with operational stakeholders to ensure seamless supply of all clinical and commercial products and to lead/support the development and execution of quality projects. The senior director of quality will also participate in Cell & Genetic therapies projects and governance committees covering external manufacturing.
**This is a hybrid role working 3 days on-site and up to two days remotely.**
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishment of quality oversight for external CMO operations.
- Prioritize, develop and implement systems, processes and tools to ensure that the systems, processes and resourcing are optimal for transition from development through product life cycle and set up to scale efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure appropriate metrics and tracking are in place for operational monitoring and as early key indicators for operational issues.
- Represent Quality in Cell & Gene Programs and serve as a trusted advisor and partner to establish the CMC quality strategy and roadmap for innovative therapeutic programs.
- Support GxP Cell & Gene Therapy Management Reviews to gain insights regarding efficiency and operational performance across the GXP operations, including identification of opportunities for improvement and associated actions.
- Provides quality leadership and partner with operational stakeholders to ensure efficient operations and mitigation of risks. Support/lead risk management activities, including identification of gaps, implementation of mitigation plans and associated execution.
- Provide significant CDMO-focused regulatory filing input (IND, BLA, etc) and drive operations-focused pre-approval inspection and commercial readiness activities at the CDMOs. Adjudicate compliance discussions, and negotiate any required corrective actions.
- Represent C&G Quality to lead/participate in complex projects and partner with key stakeholders for alignment in strategic and operational planning and delivery of business & financial priorities and goals.
- Create and foster a culture of collaboration, development, and engagement for advancing quality outcomes and operational excellence.
- Lead and mentor other team members, support development of organizational capabilities and talent building.
Required Education Level
- Bachelor’s and Master's degree in a Scientific/Technical/Business discipline.
- 15+ years of experience and 7+ years in a management/supervisory role, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a regulated pharmaceutical environment
- Experienced in quality assurance operations role for a allogeneic/autologous cell manufacturing process.
- In-depth global health regulatory agency knowledge and experience across GXP life cycle in Cell & Gene therapy and/or Biologics.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and execution skills required for operational effectiveness and compliance.
- Broad technical knowledge in Cell technology, aseptic manufacturing technology, analytical assays, cell & genetic therapies/Biologics processing, fill/finish and testing.
- Current knowledge of industry trends and best practices in Cell/Gene therapies.
- Operational Excellence experience with proven ability to lead improvement projects-Experience with Root Cause Analysis, data analytics, and other Operational Excellence experience, such as LEAN, DMAIC, Six Sigma.
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record Influencing/building/promoting a culture of Quality and Excellence.
- Ability to apply risk management principles to decision making and operational priorities.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving skills
Hybrid role in Boston, MA
We’re enabling flexibility and choice between individuals and their managers to maintain our strong culture of collaboration and ensure a daily vibrancy within our sites globally. In this Hybrid, or On-Site-Eligible role, you can choose to work:
In this Hybrid-Eligible role, you can choose to be designated as:
1. Hybrid: work remotely up to two days per week; or select
2. On-Site: work five days per week on-site with ad hoc flexibility.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.