Director, Sales Planning and Incentive Compensation
As the Director of Sales Planning and Incentive Compensation you will be responsible for the strategy, execution, and delivery of our Sales Planning & Incentive Compensation (IC) services for the US pharma sales teams including the sales team alignments, targeting, and incentive compensation deliverables. You will be a strong collaborator with the business unit teams to proactively recommend sales planning and IC strategy to ensure alignment with brand objectives, as well work with internal team members, vendors, and provide individual work contribution in the delivery of these services to meet business expectations and on-time, quality deliverables. This is a hands-on role and will require both strategic and tactical experience and expertise in pharmaceutical sales planning, IC, and data management to ensure the “end-to-end” planning and delivery of all sales planning and IC services.
This position will require you to be living in the Boston area and in the office 3 days/week at minimum.
Key responsibilities will include and are not limited to the following:
- Develop field alignment strategy, workload calculation, and territory mapping as needed for new brand launches, field size/roles, brand strategy, and data source optimization.
- Define Targeting and Call Planning strategies for field force prioritization based on business unit strategy, data insights/modeling, sales leadership reviews, and ongoing refinements based on field or brand insights, strategic objectives, and field size and role evolution.
- Work with Data Management, IT, and other internal stakeholder to ensure proper loading of customer data, targeting refreshes, alignment management, and supplier data delivery receipt.
- Optimize and recommend data sources to be used in Sales Planning activities across all field role types including IDN, Institution, and HCP field teams, leveraging data sources such as Retail, Institution, Specialty Pharmacy, and other available data tools and suppliers.
- Recommend IC Design Strategy for business units based on brand and field leadership business objectives for annual IC Plans, as well as opportunities for Contests & Awards to ensure all incentive plans are motivational, compliant, and equitable.
- Plan and deliver IC Calendar to ensure all stakeholders are aligned and accountable in the quarterly processes in delivery of IC Goals, Data Delivery/Processing, Scorecards, Field leadership reviews, and Payout file deliverables.
- Development of IC SOPs and KPIs to ensure accuracy, on-time delivery, and compliance adherence to all IC components.
- Lead Business Unit and field education of IC Plans, data sources and business rules, and scorecards/payout delivery, to ensure high understanding of the IC plans/contests/awards, minimal discrepancies and inquiries, and optimal accuracy.
- Proficient in pharmaceutical sales planning and incentive compensation design and delivery
- High expertise in pharmaceutical sales data sources and data suppliers across retail, institution, and specialty pharmacy prescription and customer data sets
- Expertise in brand/sales leadership collaboration and consultation for plan design and engagement, field communications and support, and operational delivery of sales planning and incentive compensation components
- Familiar with Sales Planning and Incentive Compensation tools and vendors to optimize delivery accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to lead and partner well with internal operational delivery stakeholders including IT, Data Management, Data Suppliers, Compliance, Legal, and Vendor support companies to align and agree to deliverables, quality levels, and ongoing inquiry/operational support service levels
- Excellent communication, presentation, and external stakeholder engagement abilities
- Bachelor's and 10 years of experience in pharmaceutical data/sales operations; including roles such as data management, sales operations, analytics, incentive compensation or sales planning roles.
- 5+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in roles which include Sales Planning and Incentive Compensation design and delivery.
- Strong understanding of the life sciences industry
- Proven leadership, team management skills and vendor management
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.