Associate Director, Field Effectiveness
As the Associate Director, Field Effectiveness you will be responsible for creating and implementing strategies to build a high-level of data/operational business acumen and adoption in the field sales team for a new product launch. This role will ensure effective knowledge of the end-to-end data and operational ecosystem for the field sales and field sales leadership teams to ensure that field expectations, operational delivery, and performance reporting are clearly understood and fully adopted, as well as build mechanisms for capturing field feedback and continuous improvements to optimize field performance and efficiencies. This role will also serve as a point person for the Commercial Operations functional leads to support field education, field deployment, and issue escalation across Sales Planning, IC, technology, data management, field reporting, and other field operations functions to ensure alignment with sales leadership strategy, delivery excellence, and field support. This is a hands-on role and will require both strategic and tactical experience and strong business/technical acumen in pharmaceutical sales and sales operations functions. This position requires you to be living in the area and in the office 3 days/week at minimum.
Key responsibilities will include and are not limited to the following:
Field Operational Acumen:
- Develop field operational & data ecosystem training to clearly define data sources, business rules, system integrations, business rules/expectations for field use, and field performance reporting to ensure understanding of integrated operational tools and best practices.
- Create behavioral “day in the life” case studies to ensure all field teams are optimizing systems and expected usage to support customer management, data and field reporting, IC plans and reports, field systems, and field operational resources across all field roles and levels.
- Work with Data Management, IT, and other internal stakeholder to ensure proper definitions, business rules, and field expectations for data and system usage are clearly defined and understood as required for training and support purposes.
- Monitor field performance, inquiries, KPIs, and business leader feedback to identify areas of opportunity for refresher or additional trainings and communications to instill good business practices and strong knowledge of all field operational systems, data, and processes.
Field Operational Excellence:
- Develop processes for field issue triage with internal and external partners to ensure service level expectations, roles and responsibilities, service level delivery, and KPIs to ensure service excellence in functional areas.
- Lead and manage a Field Digital Champion team, composed of sales leaders and sales team members to collect field feedback on operational functions, optimize field buy-in and engagement, gather ideas for efficiencies or enhancements, and demonstrate value from initiatives across field operations delivery and field satisfaction.
- Create dashboards to demonstrate the field operational support KPIs to inform sales leadership and Commercial Operational functions of the value of all Field Effectiveness programs.
Commercial Operational Excellence:
- Act as liaison with the Commercial Operations functions to ensure deliverables, timelines, and field deployment planning is incorporated into field sales team planning to ensure proper field expectation setting, functional delivery, and delivery excellence.
- Identify risks, potential barriers, or issues to Commercial Operations functional leaders and propose solutions based on field feedback or KPI observations to optimize field efficiencies and innovations.
- Work with sales leaders to identify gaps in field buy-in, accountability, or performance need to be addressed and work with sales leadership to support needed resources, knowledge-gaps, or coaching opportunities.
- Proficient in pharmaceutical sales roles in a complex selling environments across IDNs, Institutions, HCPs, Virtual Sales, and Non-Personal Promotion activities.
- High business and technical acumen in pharmaceutical sales operations including CRM, customer data management, sales data (Retail/Institution), field reporting, and inventive compensation.
- Strong project management and planning skills for deploying new systems or enhancements in sales operations activities.
- Ability to lead field training sessions, create field training resources, monitor effectiveness of training and identify/create refresher or ongoing training opportunities.
- Facilitate team feedback sessions, distill information to sales leadership and functional sales operations functions, and make recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative learnings and feedback.
- Bachelor's and 5+ years in a pharmaceutical sales or sales operations role
- Demonstrated experience in the successful planning and deployment of field operations projects to field sales teams such as field system launches/enhancements, field reporting, field targeting, IC, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in understanding, facilitating, and communicating with field sales teams and field sales leadership to drive high field adoption and field performance in understanding and utilizing operational functions, identifying areas for improvement, and measuring field impact.
- Proven leadership, team management skills and collaboration with internal team members
- Ability to manage internal partners and external vendors in delivery of required resource creation or field support delivery.
- Strong understanding of the life sciences industry
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.