Executive Director, Finance
The Executive Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (Corporate and G&A Finance) is a key member of the Vertex Finance organization and leads the teams supporting our Budget, consolidated reporting and forecasting processes, and the finance business partner team supporting many of the G&A functions (DTE, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Legal Officer and Chief Patient Officer).
This role is a key advisor to multiple business leaders, providing expert financial advice and strategic and operational solutions. The role requires profound understanding of drug development, corporate strategy and performance management and requires expert skills in designing and leading highly complex enterprise processes. Highly developed enterprise leadership, collaboration and influencing capabilities are critical.
Reporting to the SVP of Finance, the role leads the annual Budget process which supports the Board Budget review and leads the corporate financial performance management processes, including monthly and quarterly reporting and forecasting (with EC and Board as key audiences). In addition, the role partners closely with EVPs and functional leadership team members to provide financial direction and strategic insights to enable delivery against short term and long-term goals, including identification of key value drivers and Business KPIs. The ED will continue to build processes and procedures at Vertex, as we grow our portfolio to ensure risks are appropriately managed, efficiencies are realized, systems are improved, and stakeholder expectations are exceeded.
The ED leads a growing team of  finance business providing finance leadership, influencing decisions and identifying opportunities to invest, capture cost efficiencies and mitigate risks on a global basis.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Corporate Finance (Budget, Financial Performance Management)
- Leads the global Budget planning process in support of the annual Board Budget review. Provides insightful and influential forward-looking direction. Develops scenarios to identify key risks/uncertainties and plans for potential mitigation.
- Leads the monthly and quarterly financial performance management processes. Synthesizes EC and Board reporting to highlight key performance highlights, risks and future uncertainties.
- Understands market trends, opinions, and reactions to industry and competitors and provides strategic insights that will help inform senior management investment, operating, and financial decisions.
- Supports the development, monitoring and assessment of annual corporate and PSU financial goals.
- Ensures that short term planning processes are fit for purpose and efficient and continue to evolve as Vertex grows and changes.
- Proactively, and in partnership with relevant stakeholders, identifies, designs and implements enhancements to existing processes to drive efficiency across the teams.
- Challenges the need for unnecessary detail and precision and seeks to leverage technology and automation to reduce manual and repetitive tasks and processes.
- Collaborates with Finance leadership colleagues to ensure a clear understanding and communication of the financial impact of business cases and/or planning scenarios that arise.
- Collaborates with other finance leaders team including R&D, Commercial, BSMO and DST Finance as well as other areas such as IR, HR, Accounting, Tax and Treasury, promoting strong communication and a ‘We Wins’ culture.
- Accountable for all Finance support to the CFO, CLO, CPO (excluding. GMA) and CSO (relating to DTE), managing significant operating expenses and providing strategic decision support, influencing at the highest level major strategic investment decisions critical to Vertex’s long-term growth and success.
- Leads the financial performance management process (budget vs. actuals, forecast etc), with a focus on influencing business operations and decisions through expert analysis of business performance and working with business partners to address evolving needs of the business.
- Partners with EVPs and their LTs to lead the annual budget, and long-range strategic planning process.
- Utilizes data analytics and metrics to identify trends and ways of mitigating financial risks.
- Develops innovative solutions to support business case-based decision making for investments.
- Serves as Treasurer to the Vertex Foundation
- Bachelor’s degree in business, Finance or Accounting.
- MBA and CPA a plus.
- Typically requires 15 years of relevant experience in a finance managerial role demonstrating strong technical and analytical skills and a track record of success working in a team-based environment or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Models Vertex’s Values, Behaviors and Norms. Critically this role requires an expert ability to influence without authority at the highest level and collaborate effectively in support of shared goals.
- Highly skilled in building/developing/leading a high performing team. Creates an atmosphere of inclusivity across the team.
- Extensive experience in leading cross-functional teams and processes; able to manage through ambiguity and influence with and without authority.
- Ability to effectively work with and influence senior leaders.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Effective strategist with ability to successfully drive and execute on financial initiatives. Strong project management ability.
- Proactive, organized, and comfortable managing shifting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset, with flexibility and ability to adapt to change
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.