Director, Supply Chain Management, Cell and Gene Therapy (Hybrid)
We are seeking an experienced, highly motivated, and well-organized Supply Chain professional to join our fast-paced Supply Chain organization. This role will report to the Executive Director, Commercial CGT Supply Chain, and will manage the materials team that is responsible for ensuring supply and managing material risk across Vertex’s Cell and Gene Therapy platform.
Ensuring material supply: The candidate will be responsible for managing supply for all materials, both Vertex and CDMO managed, working with CDMO’s internationally as the key interface with Supply Chain counterparts, to ensure inventory targets are adhered to, and processes are in place (Cycle counting, Purchase Order management, best in class warehousing practices, etc.) to ensure that there are no manufacturing issues resulting from materials. This includes the integration of Materials Requirement Planning (MRP) into existing Vertex systems. The candidate will have a good understanding of how materials are used within manufacturing.
Material Risk oversight: The candidate will lead Vertex’s Materials Risk program,
building business processes and tools to identify and quantify material and supplier risk and driving cross-functional mitigations that proactively and quantitatively reduce risk. This includes strategies to utilize distribution centers globally, identify levers to reduce testing, and increase material efficiency and cost. As part of Risk Management, the candidate will also be responsible for Business Continuity efforts for material supply across the platform. The output of the Material Risk Assessment will result in the identification of critical/ high risk materials and corresponding cross-functional mitigations to help drive down year over year risk.
Supplier Relationship Management: The result of the Material Risk Assessment will assist in the identification of strategic suppliers. The candidate will build a Supplier Relationship Program for Vertex, including the creation of a playbook to manage cross-functional activities. This includes establishing and/or maturing relationships with Vertex’s most critical suppliers, working with cross functional teams (Quality, MSAT, Sourcing, Supply Chain) to develop goals and KPI’s to manage the relationships, and establishing strategic goals with these key partners to enable future success. This candidate will also manage Supply Chain aspects for these partnerships, including forecasting, inventory management, and working closely with the cross-functional team to address and resolve issues and reduce risk.
- Lead overall material strategy for Cell and Gene Therapy platform
- Own inventory management of critical materials, in a complex Supply Chain
- Creation and oversight of the Vertex Supplier Relationship Program
- Partner with External Manufacturing team and CMO network to ensure product supply and avoid manufacturing disruptions due to Supply Chain events
- Build and execute to the Supplier Relationship playbook, establishing cross-functional responsibilities, supplier scorecards and ensuring a win-win for Vertex and suppliers
- Manage supplier relationships, including management of the cross-functional teams to ensure governance is established and goals are identified and tracked
- Act as General Manager with supplier base to proactively reduce risk and resolve key issues to ensure supply
- Define and lead Materials Risk Assessment process, including mitigations to drive year over year improvement
- Partner with Sourcing and Finance to enable COGM reductions
- Own and lead Business Continuity efforts for Supply Chain; build a foundational program to ensure future risk is mitigated
- Define and deliver on Supply Chain goals
- Lead and develop team members
- Anticipate future industry trends and keep abreast with a strong foundational of knowledge of manufacturing and supply
- Work in matrix team to ensure overall program readiness including Quality, MSAT, Finance, Sourcing, Systems, Logistics
- B.S. or BA in Supply Chain, Science, Engineering or related field (biotechnology, biology, chemistry, related sciences)
- 10+ years’ experience and demonstrated leadership in Supply Chain Management with emphasis on planning and inventory management
- Supplier Relationship and Material Risk Management experience in a fast paced environment
- Capability to build strong teams (direct and cross functionally)
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills and effectively communicate with all levels of management
- Demonstrated expertise in critical thinking, influence, negotiation, problem solving, strategic thinking and leadership in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrated strong leadership capability with ability to make and act on decisions while balancing speed, quality, and risk.
- Demonstrated ability to influence areas not under direct control to achieve objectives and effectively communicate challenging goals and objectives.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, with emphasis on Excel, PowerPoint and Power BI
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.