Director, Biostatistics (Hybrid)
As a Director Biostatistics at Vertex, you will be at the forefront of cutting-edge medical research, analyzing complex data to unravel crucial insights that may lead to new medical breakthroughs.
You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, applying novel statistical methodologies to solve real-world challenges, ultimately contributing to the development of life-saving treatment(s) and improving global well-being.
You will be responsible for leadership of a team to support this novel therapeutic space from a statistical point of view.
The Director drives breakthrough results with strategic and technical contributions, while possessing an excellent knowledge of Biostatistics with a drug developer mindset. As a leader and people manager within the organization, you will play a crucial role in culture creation, team building, and coaching to direct reports and junior employees across the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs one or more projects including multiple clinical trials, observational studies, or real world data (RWD) investigations. Also includes presentation to the Peer Protocol Review Committee (PPRC) or other internal senior review boards.
- Manage a team of direct reports including their performance and development. Mentors project team members and promotes effective team operation and cross-functional collaboration.
- Possesses an expert understanding of modern drug discovery and development processes.
- Represents Biostatistics as a member of cross functional teams, providing strategic input and expert technical guidance to elicit meaningful and/or productive outcomes. Sets the technical and scientific directions of the project(s).
- Authors study Statistical Analysis Plans (SAPs), including table, figure, and listing (TFL) shells. Develops Cross-functional Data Review (xFDR) plan, Key Reports Memo (KRM), and Data Dissemination Plan (DDP) to facilitate the review, summary, and dissemination of key study data/results.
- Leads collaboration with statistical programming and other functions to ensure high quality and technically sound delivery of TFLs.
- Leads or contributes to external interactions with regulators, payers, review boards, etc.
- Authors or co-authors methodological or study-related publications and posters.
- Leads implementation of innovative designs and analysis methods at the study or project level and participates in Statistical Review Forum (SRF) discussions of studies assigned to others.
- Contributes to departmental working group efforts on key various technical and operational issues.
- Independently undertakes new and highly complex issues requiring advanced analytical thought.
- Completes work in a resourceful, self-sufficient manner; conceptualizes alternative, and at times untested, approaches to achieve desired results.
- Maintains and expands in-depth knowledge of related disciplines with a drug developer mindset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Prior staff management experience
- Project management and project team oversight
- Expertise with SAS and R statistical software
- Demonstrated expertise in advanced/complex statistical methods used in drug development
- Deep skill in critical thinking and logical problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence opinions of peers and managers
- Excels in a team environment
- Collaborates well with non-statisticians and can effectively explain complex concepts to non-technical audiences
- NDA/MAA experience and direct dealings with USA/European regulators.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in Statistics or Biostatistics.
- Typically requires 10 years of experience with a PhD, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.