Compliance Manager Remote
Reporting to the Head of Global Anti-Bribery/Anti-Corruption (ABAC) and Assurance Program, the Office of Business Integrity & Ethics (OBIE) Compliance Manager will be responsible for supporting the company’s global ABAC and assurance program and activities, including auditing and monitoring, third party risk management, and fair market value analysis. The Manager will serve as the initial point of contact for business colleagues for these programs and activities and will support department initiatives globally. The OBIE Compliance Manager must have knowledge of the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry, anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws, and experience with assurance, auditing, and monitoring. The role works collaboratively with colleagues in OBIE, Legal and the business to drive a culture of ethics and integrity across Vertex's global organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the assurance program’s annual auditing and monitoring plans and related reporting.
- Serve as the operational contact for assurance and other compliance processes and activities, including third party risk management, fair market value, and supervise shared mailboxes.
- Collaborate with OBIE colleagues and cross-functional teams globally to drive assurance program activities.
- Develop a high level of knowledge of current and emerging assurance risk for the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
- Support continuous improvement of the Global Compliance Program, such as supporting the selection, design, maintenance, continuous improvement, and implementation of new software solutions.
- Supports communications and training initiatives.
- Contributes to departmental and cross-functional teams and initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Consummate team player with excellent judgment, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Demonstrated experience taking ownership of projects and driving execution.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills and the ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and critical thinking/problem-solving skills, as well as demonstrated attention to detail.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to meet goals; able to exercise sound judgment in escalating matters appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to identify areas for improvement in controls, systems, and processes.
- Ability to work with large amounts of data to analyze information while still seeing the “big picture”.
- Knowledge of biotech/pharmaceutical industry regulations, applicable local codes, and anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws and extensive experience working for biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies on these issues.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision; able to exercise sound judgment in resolving matters of moderate complexity or escalating matters appropriately.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- ABAC and auditing and monitoring experience, with preference for experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws and pharmaceutical regulations and guidance.
- Operations and project management experience.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to compliance, ethics, and accountability.
- Flexibility to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment with a strong work ethic and positive attitude.
- Ability to travel approximately 15-20% of time.
- Proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel and PowerPoint).
- Advanced English language skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline
- Typically requires 5-7 years years auditing, monitoring, and assurance experience , consultancy, or as a Compliance professional in a global pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or life sciences company or similar regulated industry or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA or CFE
- Previous in-house Compliance or professional services firm experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
Pay Range $116K to $160K
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week long company shutdown in the summer and the winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401K and more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.