Senior Manager, Global Trade Compliance (Remote Eligible)
The Senior Manager of Global Trade Compliance (GTC) – Technical Compliance will support Vertex commercial, clinical, research supply chains by ensuring the uninterrupted, compliant and efficient movement of product across Vertex’s global drug supply, clinical and research network. This individual has a global remit for building and maintaining the detailed technical compliance processes and governance needed to support the trade operations managers, and for assisting in solving detailed operational questions as needed. Areas of focus will include customs valuation and export controls but will also be responsible for product classification (HTS, ECCN & PGA), country of origin (non-preferential & preferential), and anti-boycott.
He / she / they will provide leadership in solving complex customs and export control requirements to provide compliant and predictable access to Vertex patients and business partners. A leader in building both internal and external collaborations, the Sr Manager has solid business acumen and good written and verbal communication skills. The Sr Manager has the responsibility for the management of customs and export control activities and, alongside the Sr Director of GTC, will help designing world class technical trade guidance and solutions for Vertex to execute against the current business needs, adapt to regulatory changes, and prepare for seamless market access of Vertex small molecule and cell & gene therapy pipeline products. The Sr. Manager is a key and responsible team member for the continued growth and development of the company’s Global Trade Compliance program and will work with the Director of GTC for Pipeline and Partnerships in building strong partnerships with stakeholders in Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Commercial, Finance/Tax, Legal, Regulatory R&D, and others. He / she / they will also work with the regional GTC operations Sr Managers in supporting the ongoing movement of material.
This is a U.S. based, remote eligible position.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Primary technical review / ownership of GTC SOPs around complex customs requirements including valuation, export controls, product classification, county or origin and others.
- Develop and manage all aspects of Vertex’s Customs Valuation program including:
- Managing the existing commercial customs valuation SOP for all manufacturing and finished goods, including reconciliation reporting in the United States, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and other countries as required.
- Managing the existing clinical trial material customs valuation SOP for clinical trial investigational medicine products (IMP) to all clinical markets. Take the lead in defending this policy with customs authorities as needed.
- Developing and managing a customs valuation SOP for Vertex pipeline products including cell & gene therapy and small molecules. Work closely with Corporate Tax, Supply Chain and Regulatory in the development of new financial supply chains that optimize Vertex tax and duty positions.
- Developing and managing a customs valuation SOP for purchased material, including developing a three-way-match between PO, Commercial Invoice & Payment, and reporting of discrepancies as required.
- Developing and managing a customs valuation SOP for other material not subject to transaction value including development material from CMOs, research material from CROs or between Vertex sites, samples of various types, and similar.
- Develop and manage all aspects of Vertex’s Export Control program including:
- Identifying all Vertex material or equipment subject to export commodity control classification (ECCN) requirements through automated surveys, data analytics and broad company outreach.
- Establishing physical export controls for all non-EAR99 material or equipment leveraging the managed service provider and GTM export document systems to ensure no material is shipped without the required license.
- Establishing a technology control plan and a deemed export access control plan for any non-EAR99 material or equipment where Vertex controls or owns technology that requires such controls.
- Refining and managing the enterprise restricted party screening capability using Oracle Global Trade Management (GTM) and operated by our managed service provider for all customers, suppliers, CMOs, CROs, other partners, and employees / contractors as required; as well as for countries / territories subject to Trade Sanctions. Collaborate with 3PLs and Distributors to evaluate, assess their screening activities, and build out joint escalation processes.
- Work with Sourcing and Legal to develop export control contractual language and establish an INCO term guideline.
- Oversee Vertex’s managed service provider in determining product classification for Harmonized Tariff System (HTS), Export Commodity Controls (ECCN) and Partner Government Agency (PGA) coding as required. Own the Product Classification SOP and act as the internal SME as needed to resolve complex issues.
- Own the County of Origin SOP and oversee Vertex’s managed service provider in providing COO support as needed.
- Develop and manage all aspects of Vertex’s anti-boycott reporting processes.
- As a member of the global trade compliance team, support global projects including:
- Co-managing external trade managed service partner and consultants, especially in regard to export control, trade sanctions, and customs valuation activities.
- Supporting the design, implementation, and operation of the GTM system to fully integrate master data and operational orders / shipments with internal stakeholders and systems, trade managed service provider, customs brokers, forwarders/carriers and 3PLs.
This role requires excellent understanding of global pharmaceutical commercial, clinical and research export and import supply chain practices. Experience required with global manufacturing sites, contract manufacturers, and multiple customs authorities.
- Seven years-experience in international trade.
- BA/BS required. Licensed Customs Broker or equivalent certification
- Strong familiarity with export control requirements.
- Strong familiarity with customs valuation requirements
- Pharmaceutical, Life Science or other similarly specialized industry experience, but with knowledge of standard export import processes.
- Familiarity in strategically managing customs brokers, managed service providers and consultants with proven results.
- Knowledge of Logistics systems including Global Trade Management systems, Transportation Management Systems, ERP, and logistic provider integrations.
- Strong digital analytical skills using software such as Excel, SharePoint, Alteryx, and other report writing and analytical tools.
- Ability to conduct trade compliance training and reduce complex requirements and make them relatable to various audiences and business processes.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement and transformative change.
- Knowledge of Operational Excellence including Lean Manufacturing & Continuous Improvement Principles.
Salary range: $128,000 - $192,000
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.