Senior Manager, Lab Operations Onsite
The Senior Manager of Laboratory Operations is responsible for Lab Services and Instrumentation at Vertex’s global headquarters in Boston. This role manages internal staff as well as third-party vendors working in Fan Pier to maintain alignment with enterprise-wide laboratory standards, best-practices, and projects for the Lab Operations team, with a focus on process and continuous improvement in Fan Pier’s Non-GxP laboratory environment. Excellent communications, organization skills, and creativity in problem solving are required for success in this position. The candidate must have a high level of professionalism, be capable of working independently with less direct oversight from leadership and be willing to take accountability and ownership of issues and concerns to drive exceptional results.
- Lead Fan Pier Laboratory Operations in proposing and implementing processes and continuous improvement initiatives
- Assist in developing and implementing a best-in-class laboratory operations plan focusing on maintenance best practices, effective planning and scheduling and asset life-cycle management.
- Provide input to develop and standardize workflows, KPI’s, metrics and documentation and training
- Serve as a subject matter expert for laboratory instrumentation and laboratory operations
- Evaluate and optimize Fan Pier laboratory operations including the use and management of consumables, chemicals, media, and equipment
- Manage assigned budgets with intent to identify cost efficiencies/savings potential
- Drive customer satisfaction and customer collaboration
- Define, plan, and manage the full scope of assigned projects
- Identify, analyze, prioritize, communicate, and mitigate project risks
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously to successful outcomes
- Forecast, track, and manage site budgets, POs, and invoices
- Coordinate appropriate resources (technical & non-technical) to meet project needs
- Coordinate teams to implement support with optimal efficiency
- Develop effective local partnerships and work collaboratively with business partners (R&D, PMO, Facilities, Security, HR, Finance, EHS&S, Legal, IT, Corporate Communications, etc.)
- Plan and manage internal and external site communications, ensuring effective and timely exchange of project information, expectations, and deliverables
- Provide and promote high standards of professionalism, integrity, and leadership, both within and outside the organization, appropriately representing Vertex core values, business philosophies, protocols, and standards
- Cultivate change and innovation by seeking opportunities to strengthen and improve existing services and operations
TECHNICAL AND COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS:
- The candidate must be able to build and maintain strong, cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders within Fan Pier and be a trusted team leader across sites.
- Ability to work at a fast pace on multiple projects of a critical nature.
- A committed team player comfortable in a matrixed hierarchy.
- Strong understanding of operations principles and practices.
- Proven track record of surpassing objectives and delivering exceptional results.
- Proven ability to guide and influence members of team.
- Prior experience with managing budgets and controlling costs.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience.
- Proven managerial experience.
- Pharma / Bio-tech experience preferred.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.