Commercial Manufacturing and Supply Chain (CMSC) Associate Director, Business Analytics and Reporting (BAR)
This Commercial Manufacturing and Supply Chain (CMSC) Associate Director, Business Analytics and Reporting (BAR) will be responsible for leading and driving complex cross-functional project teams for the purposes of executing our CMSC supply and manufacturing analytics needs. The position will work with the CMSC, Quality, and cross-functional partners in Commercial & Clinical within the Vertex Small Molecule and Cell and Gene Therapy teams to build and maintain dashboards and analytics to drive data-driven decision making. Additionally, the position will engage with key enablement partners in DTE & DSS to ensure that the digital capabilities of CMSC are progressing and maturing with the organization. The position will create and maintain standards to accurately gather requirements from the business for metrics, KPIs and analytics and build subsequent data models, reports and dashboards in BI Analytics tools to deliver insights based on expressed business needs. Data governance and a focus on data integrity will be crucial to the success of the role through the development and maintenance of data governance forums for data quality and integrity of source system data. While developing reports and dashboards for cross-functional teams will be part of the role, equally as important will be taking the lead on the roll-out plan for ensuring adoption of reports and dashboards – all with the end-goal to ensure that CMSC continues to be a data-driven organization. This is an exciting and visible role for a highly qualified and motivated individual in this new function.
The successful candidate will be required to be both strategic and highly tactical with a proven track record of independently managing and successfully driving complex projects within the biopharmaceutical industry. We are seeking an individual with a solid data and analytics background who has experience building dashboards and analytics for functional and cross-functional teams, as well as solid working knowledge of data modeling and report visualizations. A proven track record of capturing business need, delivering insights through analytics and ensuring the adoption and maturation of those analytics will be needed for this role. Understanding of drug development through commercialization and lifecycle management is key to the role, and with that experience working cross-functionally and driving to consensus, willingness to pivot as priorities change, and knowledge and/or experience of manufacturing and supply chain. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, written and verbal, high attention to detail, and the ability to work effectively in cross-functional, matrixed teams.
This is a Boston based, hybrid position (3 days/week onsite).
- Organize and maintain analytics needs across the CMSC portfolio, including intended uses and forums where analytics will be utilized and how they should be delivered
- Build and roll-out analytics and dashboards to functional and cross-functional business users
- Create, update, or adapt data models to include necessary data, metrics, and KPIs in analytics and dashboards
- Track and monitor key milestones and decision points and work with data, system and business owners to deliver key metrics, KPIs and analytics
- Drive and maintain documentation standards to gather, document and deliver on requirements – both for source data as well as visualization needs for business stakeholders
- Effectively communicate with team members, and key stakeholders on the status, objectives, risks, and mitigation plans associated with analytics and dashboards
- Build relationships with key business stakeholders & enablement partners – be able to speak to both business and technical needs
- Organize and maintain analytics project communications including meeting agendas, minutes, decision logs, tasks lists, and risk analyses/mitigation strategies using preferred technologies
- Drive the creation and deployment of standards and templates for metrics, analytics, reports and dashboards (e.g. data dictionary, report/dashboard catalogue)
- Focus on data integrity and data quality – attention to detail as well as a knowledge of how to ensure data integrity practices are followed by data and system owners
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field including, but not limited to statistics, engineering, math, data analytics, computer science, life sciences or a related field.
- 7+ years of combined experience in hands-on analytics work, including relational database structures, data wrangling, common coding languages, and analytical and data visualization tools (e.g. SQL, Python, R; ggplot, PowerBI, Tableau), including at scale
- 5+ years of Biotech experience, ideally in Manufacturing & Supply Chain setting, preferably with Supply Chain experience
- Proven ability to successfully multitask effectively, balance competing priorities, and deliver meaningful and accurate results without supervision
- Team-oriented attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially when delivering analytical results to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience managing projects independently in a highly matrixed organization with cross-functional stakeholders
- Working knowledge of data modeling, data warehousing, and ability to access relational and multi-dimensional databases (e.g. SQL, Snowflake, Callibra, Databricks)
- Experience determining technical requirements from business needs into visualizations and dashboards – includes experience rolling out dashboards and maintaining adoption and uptake of dashboards
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional, matrixed environment, prioritizing and managing multiple tasks simultaneously, integrating cross-functional needs and balancing competing priorities effectively.
- Expertise in Microsoft Project or Smartsheet, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Word, Excel, Outlook and OneNote.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation and facilitation skills, to effectively inform key updates & issues across all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills, including an ability to combine attention to detail with a big-picture perspective.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.