Senior Manager, FP&A - COO (Chief Operating Office) Organization
Reporting to the Director, Financial Planning and Analysis COO Organization, the Senior Manager is a key member of Vertex's COO Financial Planning & Analysis team and will partner closely with Commercial, Human Resources and Corporate Communications functional teams providing financial direction and strategic insights including identification of key value drivers and Business KPIs, helping functions deliver their short term and long-term goals and influencing strategy.
As the Financial business partner to select functions within the COO organization (Commercial, Human Resources and Corporate Communications), this individual will be the single point of contact for all financial aspects of their functions and will support business partners during our annual planning processes (including short- and long-term planning) and quarterly forecasts, driving operational business modeling, including but not limited to financial KPIs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives the financial performance management process for assigned functions (objective setting, budget vs. actuals, etc.), including the monthly forecast process, partnering with and influencing business operations and decisions through an understanding of the key drivers of short-term performance and communicating the range of possible outcomes.
- Drives the financial planning process for responsible functions (budget, quarterly forecasts, long range plan) to provide insightful and influential forward-looking direction, to develop key scenarios, and to identify key risks/uncertainties and plans for potential mitigation.
- Responsible for coordination, consolidation and reporting to Chief Operating Office (COO), requiring close collaboration and general process and business understanding across other COO functions.
- Key member of process task forces across Total Global Finance, representing COO Finance in key decisions about systems, chart of accounts and corporate processes. Works closely with other members of the CFO organization to maintain a continuous improvement mindset and promote strong communication, sharing of best practices and efficient processes.
- Identifies and help drive opportunities to improve process across the global finance organization.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical skill and ability to work with large amounts of data with an ability to create ad hoc reports or analytics independently.
- Expertise with Excel and strong PowerPoint skills; Experience with Hyperion or another multidimensional database; experience with business intelligence and visualization tools a plus.
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively - capacity to effectively partner with key stakeholders providing pragmatic solutions and have the drive and leadership to implement ideas through to successful conclusion.
- Strong business acumen, judgment and professionalism required. Intellectual curiosity drives a deep understanding of business issues.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and an eagerness to collaborate with colleagues (within or outside of finance) in sharing insights and learnings.
- Must be able to work well with senior leaders, peers and junior team members.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset with the flexibility to adapt to change and experience with lean tools / lean philosophies a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Typically requires 8 years of relevant financial experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background partnering/ supporting Commercial organizations and G&A functions in the Biotech industry is a plus
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.