Associate Director, Access Strategy Analytics & Insights
The Access Strategy Analytics & Insights Associate Director position within the Pricing, Analytics & Contract Management (PACM) department is a vital and strategic role in our growing team. The role requires strong data & analytics experience as well as deep subject matter expertise within the overall U.S. market access environment, with an in-depth understanding of value, pricing and reimbursement dynamics. The role provides insights that impact patient access to Vertex brands and pipeline therapies through its influence on the pricing, contracting and other access strategies. This position leads the generation and enablement of market access specific insights, requiring strong proficiency with analytics tools, syndicated, secondary and internal data resources.
This position reports directly to the Senior Director, US Market Access Data & Analytics Center of Excellence and will serve as a core member of franchise/brand analytics forums in support of market access of new and existing products.
- Lead the delivery of therapeutic area specific analytical insights in response to market access landscape, issues and trends.
- Generate insights and develop KPIs as part of US market access readiness launch activities, including evaluating in-market analogs pricing & contracting environment, payer/PBM landscape, clinic/hospital economics, employer groups, value-based agreements and other landscape activities. Leverage syndicated and desk research to inform critical customer and competitor trends, where applicable.
- Understand the impact of utilization management, tiering and formulary or medical policy impact on overall demand, use of therapeutic alternatives and co-pay support.
- Conduct investigative analytics to validate and/ or quantify market access-related phenomenon related to competitive or customer tactics. Identify through quantitative methods, value drivers that guide options to remove barriers to access and improve brand value proposition.
- Perform claims analysis and identify market dynamics that demonstrate the impact of payer controls and build models to portray risks, opportunities and sensitivities.
- Conduct proactive research and analysis of various data sources, digestion of industry publications and engagement of internal/external stakeholders to define channel, segment and payer mix.
- Inform and support future pre- and post- contract evaluations with contract operations and administration teams. This may include volume and geographic considerations as well as utilization management trends.
- Proficiently manage stakeholders and vendors, leading analytics to deliver compelling learnings and formulating analytical strategies appropriate to address access issues.
- Partner with USMA CRM resource(s) to collaboratively develop and deliver account team insights.
- Partner with COE members to build causal dashboards and direct the design process translating business requirements to the final dashboard or reporting solution.
- Serve as an advocate in integrating market access insights sourced across Vertex teams – Market Access Strategy, PACM, Commercial analytics forums and field teams; develop strong partnerships with insights/analytics teams in support of market access goals.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8-10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry, 6+ years of insights, analytics and reporting is required.
- Exceptional analytics and technical data query skills with experience creating and/or supporting complex models
- Demonstrated understanding of the U.S. healthcare landscape and key Vertex therapeutic areas
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint required; strong to expert proficiency in Tableau/Power BI, SQL, Alteryx. Working knowledge of analytical tools/software such as SAS, SQL, R, Python.
- Stakeholder management: Ability to communicate confidently and succinctly to senior leaders and ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a highly matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead initiatives that require dross collaboration across multiple functional areas.
- Strong story telling skills; ability to distill complex information synthesized into concise and impactful messages and communications.
- Master’s Degree
- An entrepreneurial spirit and ability to proactively develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Good understanding of state and federal policies and government programs impacting market access, distribution and gross-to-net impacts
- Good understanding of statutory government pricing methodologies
- 3-4 years of pharmaceutical manufacturer market access experience and subject matter expertise with Health Plans, PBMs, Hospital Systems, Specialty Pharmacies and Healthcare Policy stakeholders.
- 4-6 years of pharmaceutical marketing insights experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.