Area Director, Strategic Accounts - Central
Vertex is seeking experienced and talented commercial leaders to join our US Pain Business to support our journey to bring forth new options for the treatment of pain. The Area Director, Strategic Accounts will be responsible for the oversight of one of three strategic account areas for the US Pain Business Unit, which is preparing for potential commercialization of an investigational novel selective inhibitor of NaV1.8 in acute pain. We are looking for candidates with a strong track record of delivering exceptional results, establishing a strong team culture that aligns with Vertex values, and developing deep strategic account relationships. The Area Director, Strategic Accounts will lead a team of 6 strategic account leads and report into our Sr. Director of Strategic Accounts.
For more information about Vertex’s pain program, visit https://www.vrtx.com/research-development/pipeline/pain/. To learn more about working at Vertex and our commitment to a vibrant and inclusive culture, visit https://www.vrtx.com/working-here/inclusion-diversity-equity/.
- Leads the build of their Strategic Account Management team, including recruiting, hiring and retaining a high performing team
- Establishes clear business plans, metrics, and goals for area, motivating team to deliver results, and coaching to drives results while living the Vertex values Develop engagement strategy and area-level business plans to ensure success with priority accounts
- Engage with IDN, GPO and GPO aggregate account leadership, formulary decision makers, and population health stakeholders to ensure timely access and contracting, support product uptake, drive systemic change, and pursue creative partnerships, as appropriate
- Coordinate account engagement activities compliantly across the regional team, including aligned territory account managers, regional leaders, payer account directors, virtual sales representatives, and HEOR colleagues
- Execute account management model and identify opportunities for best in class, enterprise level engagement to help ensure access and drive top-down demand
- Partner with internal stakeholders including Market Access, Sales, Marketing, Compliance, Legal, Field Operations, HR, and others to provide strategic field insights to evolve the Go-To-Market Plan
- Role model ethics and integrity in the work that you do to support our culture of compliance and earn trust with external stakeholders
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of experience in healthcare/biopharmaceuticals in market access, strategic accounts, sales, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3+ years of supervisory/management experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5 + years experience in account management for IDNs, including deep knowledge of key IDN accounts and existing relationships at top IDNs
- Expertise in GPO/GPO aggregate groups/IDN contract negotiations and pull-through, including deep knowledge of key acute care GPO accounts and existing relationships at top GPOs
- Experience navigating the hospital/IDN formulary process
- Fosters the highest level of teamwork and collaboration
- Expertise in IDN stakeholders, with knowledge of how to influence both access and demand levers
- Excellent professional and strategic account management skills
- Understanding of clinical and economic trends driving decision making in current healthcare market
Pay range is $192,240 - $288,000 annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role may also be eligible for commission, fleet or car allowance and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.