Co-op Medicinal Chemistry
The Vertex Co-op Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our co-op program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are relentless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their project plan, connect with other co-ops, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will co-ops learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams.
Selected candidate will join the Medicinal Chemistry Department and will conduct high level organic chemistry research, specific tasks include:
- Perform multi-step synthesis and isolate newly synthesized chemical compounds
- Characterize purified chemical compounds by means of HPLC and NMR
- Write experimental procedures
- Participate in scientific discussions with Vertex scientists in order to flourish scientifically
- Requires a high level of verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to interact cross functionally
- Candidate must be enrolled in an undergraduate or master's degree program in Chemistry or Biochemistry
- Organic lab experience
- Attention to detail, flexibility and ability to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting expected deadlines
- Strong analytical capabilities and problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and energetic
- Strong work ethic and tenacity
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families, and society
- Legally eligible to work onsite
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.