Portfolio and Program Management, Associate Director - Cystic Fibrosis
The Associate Director (AD) of Portfolio and Program Management (PPM) sits within the COO’s organization at Vertex and leads assets from development through commercialization. In this role, the AD will partner with program leads and cross-functional teams to establish cross-functional plans and ensure execution against program goals and strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support disease strategy development and drive decision-making throughout the drug development lifecycle
- Support program leads in defining the approach and identifying key stakeholders for cross-functional decision-making and issue resolution
- Collaborate and communicate cross-functionally to measure and achieve program goals
- Lead the generation of disease area assumptions for long range planning and annual budgeting across clinical development, manufacturing, and commercial
- Effectively manage meetings, inclusive of stakeholder management and preparation, communication, and management of action items, decisions and follow-through.
- Communicate complex topics to stakeholders through effective storytelling and content creation
- Develop integrated program planning timelines and reporting. Define critical path activities, interdependencies, and anticipate bottlenecks.
- Proactively manage project risks, through identification, assessment, mitigation and escalation of gaps, challenges, and potential roadblocks
- Identify, communicate, and manage resource constraints, synergies, and redundancies
- Establish team operating norms and identify opportunities to improve team performance
Knowledge and Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of project and portfolio management principles, best practices, tools, technology and methods
- Leadership experience managing cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including well-developed presentation skills
- Comprehensive pharmaceutical drug discovery and development knowledge across multiple disciplines
- Exceptional organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong collaboration skills to effectively interact with internal or external stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- General business management knowledge to assess the impact of project decisions on financial and corporate objectives
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences or a relevant field
- Typically requires 8 years of experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with drug development on cross-functional teams and/or in more than one function
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.