Associate Director, Commercial Contract Management
The Associate Director, Contract Development will provide leadership and management oversight of Market Access Contract processes by facilitating pre- and post-deal analytics, negotiation, and administration of all Payer, Provider and Trade & Distribution contracts. This person will partner with, among others, Account Management, Finance, Government Pricing & Rebate Operations, GTN, Legal, Marketing and Payer Marketing to ensure appropriate identification and evaluation of contracting opportunities. These responsibilities will apply across all Vertex marketed product lines and pipeline products.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the end-to-end contract (Payer, Provider and Trade & Distribution) development process, including working with cross-functional partners on pre-deal analytics, negotiations, and post-deal analytics as well as the logging, tracking, reporting and facilitation of contract opportunities through the governance, negotiation/redlining and legal review processes
- Develop, maintain and improve strong internal processes and documentation working across the Finance, Legal and Market Access teams
- Maintain calendar and matrix of bids/offers and coordinate communication of contract development and execution status
- Facilitate the transition of executed contracts to the appropriate operational team for implementation and/or adjudication, including outlining key terms and providing detailed explanations, as necessary
- Provide insights to the business that inform GTN forecasting, contracting, and pricing decisions and strategies, and general business planning
- Strong cross functional collaboration in support of internal contract processing, review, and reporting
- Assist Account Managers with ad-hoc analysis, business planning, and contract performance review
- Use financial models to perform and verify calculations for business scenarios, as needed
- Advise on strategic and operational issues and requirements related to contract administration including any matters relating to rebate analysis and payments, as well as resolution of disputes on rebate claims
Required Educational Level
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business discipline required
- 8 years minimum payer contracting, contract administration and/or analytics experience in the Pharmaceutical, Life Science or related Industries and/or equivalent education and experience
- Progressive business experience in finance, accounting, sales, government pricing, contracting, or other related area
- Understanding of pharmaceutical pricing government programs and associated regulations and the ability to determine the impact of contracts on them
- Highly analytical and detail oriented, with the ability to define problems, research proposed solutions, analyze the short- and long-term implications, propose and present the results to key stakeholders and implement solutions
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills
- Superior organizational and project management skills as well as polished written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, customer service commitment, and detail orientation with the ability to work across the organization and external subject matter experts
- Be self-motivated, requiring minimal supervision, and able to contribute as a team player
- Ability to multitask, shift gears and pivot when necessary, and be comfortable working under constant deadlines
- Deep working knowledge of the pharmaceutical and managed care industry including market dynamics and the competitive landscape of formulary coverage, market share and profitability
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.