Senior Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Cystic Fibrosis-Eastern PA, VA, DE, MD
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (Sr MSL) for our cystic fibrosis program will serve as a scientific liaison to the medical/academic community and is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with Health Care Providers/Professionals (HCPs) to ensure the appropriate dissemination of clinical and scientific information regarding Vertex' compounds in a timely, ethical and stakeholder-focused manner. The Sr MSL will contribute to shaping the medical plan by providing external stakeholders' insights, and contribute to the designing and execution of the Medical Affairs strategy and plan. The Sr MSL will engage HCPs in response to scientific educational and research needs with available Vertex resources, and provide the latest emerging data in response to specific inquiries, as appropriate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and fosters effective and trusting relationships with Thought Leaders and identifies and engages other appropriate HCPs resulting in scientific engagement with a large network of Cystic Fibrosis- CF care providers and opinion leaders. Additionally, understands the inter-relationships both within and between academic centers and utilizes this expertise to enhance Thought Leader and HCP engagements
- Consistently incorporates all aspects of the SEM (Scientific Engagement Model) into all interactions, enhancing the quality of interactions and overall relationships as assessed by field coaching observations
- Independently incorporates the medical plan into interactions and territory planning (i.e. listening priorities) and captures valuable feedback in the CRM system to inform internal stakeholders and assist in shaping the medical strategy
- Possesses an in-depth understanding of the utility and functionality of the CRM system/data analytics tools, allowing for the time sensitive capture of interaction details. Uses CRM/Analytics to enhance future TL engagements and manage workload
- Discusses scientific information effectively and compliantly with external stakeholders at an advanced level of communication for both disease state and product to external stakeholders as assessed by management coaching and field observations
- In-depth conceptual and practical knowledge of payers in the region and possesses an in-depth understanding of the impact of payers on patient care delivery
- Assists clinical development/clinical operations by fully understanding IB content and presenting IB material at SIV meetings, providing nominations for trial sites as requested, providing end of study data reviews with investigators as needed
- Represents Vertex at medical congresses by providing scientific session/abstract coverage, booth staffing coverage, routine TL interactions, contributing to the daily and end of congress summaries and may provide logistical guidance as the “MSL congress lead” through organizing and scheduling abstract/session coverage and preparing and delivering the conference debrief.
- May serve as a mentor or trainer for colleagues with less experience; for example, assisting with new hire MSL onboarding
- Conducts all activities in compliance with Vertex policy and procedures and performs all administrative tasks in a timely manner such as CRM entry, vehicle mileage reporting, expense reporting, calendar entries, training assignments, etc.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to complete goals within allotted timeframes, and deliver high quality results
- Ability to help plan and complete projects in a constantly changing field-based environment
- Ability to create solutions to identified issues
- Ability to appraise and comprehend medical and scientific literature
- Ability to effectively present clinical/scientific information in a credible manner in varied settings
- Good knowledge of assigned geographic territory
- In-depth understanding of healthcare regulatory environment
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs and to work in a matrix environment
- Apply proficient knowledge of relevant disease and disease management protocols, healthcare environment and competitors to articulate the medical and scientific value of our products
- Demonstrated working understanding around the compliance and regulatory frameworks that govern the pharmaceutical industry and conducts compliant interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- In-depth knowledge of payers and unique medical information needs to support access and appropriate use of Vertex medicines
- Good knowledge of Health Economics and Outcomes Research
- Fluent in English & Local Language (oral and written)
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Ability to travel overnight up to 70%, depending on assigned geography; including occasional weekend travel
Education and Experience:
- Minimum requirement for advanced biomedical or life sciences degree (ex. Masters, NP, PA)
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of experience as a MSL, or in other medical affairs roles in the pharma/biotech industry or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous training or experience in designated therapeutic area is helpful
Pay Range $164,960 – $247,440 USD annually
The range provided is based on what we believe is a reasonable estimate for the base salary pay range for this job at the time of posting. This role is eligible for an annual bonus and annual equity awards. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay, in accordance with federal and state requirements. Actual base salary pay will be based on a number of factors, including skills, competencies, experience, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
At Vertex, our Total Rewards offerings also include inclusive market-leading benefits to meet our employees wherever they are in their career, financial, family and wellbeing journey while providing flexibility and resources to support their growth and aspirations. From medical, dental and vision benefits to generous paid time off (including a week-long company shutdown in the Summer and the Winter), educational assistance programs including student loan repayment, a generous commuting subsidy, matching charitable donations, 401(k) and so much more.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.