Medical Director, International Medical Affairs, 12 mth FTC
The Medical Director, Medical Affairs will provide medical leadership for the Medical Department in all therapeutic areas, as needed. This role will be accountable for building, leading and overseeing the medical team for the assigned country, for the development and implementation of Country Medical strategy and plans and will work in partnership with the Country Manager as well as other cross functional team colleagues to ensure access to company’s products, develop and implement cross functional country plans aligned with patient, HCPs’ and broader corporate needs. This role is responsible for building and encouraging scientific excellence within the team and engaging in close partnerships with HCPs, scientific societies and patient organizations. This role will also be responsible for financial planning and budgetary adherence of medical affairs activities. This role will work closely with a cross-functional group that includes Commercial, Market Access, Global, International Medical Affairs organizations, GAPP and Corporate Communications, Legal, Compliance (OBIE), Regulatory, Research & Development, HRBP and Finance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides comprehensive expertise and guidance in local Therapeutic Area(s) and Vertex drugs
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with local Health Care Professionals, and with local Professional Societies and Patient Advocacy groups.
- Establishes relationships with Thought Leaders to expand research opportunities for Vertex and develops, at local level, advisory, collaborative and/or educational activities aligned to the Vertex strategy.
- Establishes and ensures execution of the local Medical Operational Plan, in accordance with corporate policies and procedures and applicable local laws and regulations.
- Serves as the reference person for medical input and support to the local operations; supports other Vertex functions so that the appropriate patients in the geographic area of responsibility may have access in a safe manner to the benefit of Vertex product(s).
- Ensures that the scientific data provided locally to Health Care Professionals and Health Care Authorities is provided with a fair and balanced view.
- Acts as the local medical contributor and reviewer/approver of Field Medical Material (proactive and reactive), Promotional Material, Access Material and Medical Information Material for local use.
- Maintains a seamless flow of information within and between the local structure, and communicates medical insights obtained locally from appropriate field interactions to inform local and regional strategy/tactics.
- Develops and maintains high level of industry, regulatory, clinical and scientific knowledge in several therapeutic areas.
- As a people manager within the organization, may have financial accountabilities and human resource responsibilities for assigned staff.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in Medical Affairs within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Ability to work across a complex matrix organization and influence at all levels
- Maintains a high level of expertise and judgment in relation to both technical and ethical aspects of a medical director role and responsibilities
- Ability to both anticipate issues and be flexible and reactive to situations
- Experience in internal medicine, pulmonology and/or experience in orphan diseases
- Knowledge of national healthcare and regulatory environments indispensable, previous interactions with TGA an advantage
- Excellent understanding of the reimbursement mechanisms in location and of the acceptability of PE models and PRO research by national payers
- Experience in scientific interactions with payer bodies is essential
- Knowledge and understanding of marketplace dynamics
- Track-record of ability to plan, initiate and complete projects within allotted time frames & delivering high quality successful results
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team on common projects and goals, at national and regional level
- Capacity to critically analyze current scientific literature
- Good understanding of the basics of health economics and patient outcomes
- Skilled in effective presentations of clinical/scientific data in a group or individual setting, internally and externally
- Competence in the use of IT tools and standard software programs, including the conduct of Web-based meetings
- English language fluent, written and spoken
Education and Experience:
- MD, DO or equivalent ex-US medical degree
- Relevant experience supervisory/management or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.