Research Scientist, Histopathology and Assays
Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapy (VCGT) of Vertex Pharmaceuticals, is currently developing stem cell-based cell therapies for type 1 diabetes (T1D). We are seeking an outstanding, experienced Scientist to join the Pathology-Histopathology Team. She/he will be extremely well versed on all aspects of designing and developing multiplexing biomarker assays and aspects of image analysis. The successful candidate will possess experience in these fields, while she/he is expected to work effectively within cross-functional teams in a matrix VCGT environment. The position is located in the Boston Seaport.
- Designated on site, hands-on, employee 5 days per week.
- Direct experience with image analysis software (i.e., HALO, Visiopharm) AI machine and deep learning modules, spatial analysis and heat maps quantifying biomarkers, generating endpoint analyses.
- Experience in developing, troubleshooting, and independently performing multiplexing IHC, IF, RNAscope assays.
- Four years’ experience with immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence, using automated staining platforms, such as Discovery Ultra and Leica Bond.
- Proficient in using digital pathology scanners (Leica Aperio AT2, Zeiss Axios).
- Collaborates closely with peers, communicates clearly to management, cross-disciplinary teams and external groups.
- Leading assay tech transfer to CROs but also within VCGT.
- Authoring SOPs, technical documents, making accurate, contemporary ELN records.
- Summarize legible findings in PowerPoint decks and study reports.
- Ensuring GLP-like practices and laboratory safety guidelines are followed at all times.
Education and Experiences:
- PhD and 0-3 years of relevant experience
- Exposure to image analysis (segmentation, ROI delineation) and multiplexing biomarker development.
- In-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in tissue and cellular histology and multiplexing IF/IHC/RNAscope assays.
- Working independently, multi-tasking, building cross-functional collaborations.
- Highly initiative-taking and excellent people skills interacting with multidisciplinary teams.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.