Principal Research Associate, DMPK-Bioanalysis
The Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics-Bioanalysis department is seeking an enthusiastic Principal Research Associate to join our Bioanalysis group with a primary responsibility for quantitative method development and in-vivo sample analysis of small molecules utilizing liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS). This position requires an aptitude for independent study design, troubleshooting, and data interpretation. You will participate in the design and execution of relevant capability enhancing initiatives to advance the science and contribute to the preclinical development of multiple assets across the Vertex portfolio of disease areas. You will work with your supervisor to support other technical teams outside of DMPK as well as other functions within DMPK to discover and develop innovative therapies with the potential to provide transformative benefit to patients.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform non-GLP sample analysis of small molecules from preclinical and clinical studies by LC-MS/MS.
- Assays to be performed include (but not limited to): Sample extraction and quantitation from various biological matrices, protein binding assessment, plasma and whole blood stability.
- LC-MS/MS method development, instrument troubleshooting
- Support automation development using new technologies as required.
- Conducts own experimental troubleshooting on a routine basis.
- Execute assays with good documentation practices.
- Effectively collaborate in a cross-functional team settings.
- Surveys relevant scientiﬁc literature to maintain awareness of issues and trends within the ﬁeld.
- Present studies effectively at internal Group/Department or Project Team meetings.
- This role will utilize liquid handling automation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated technical proﬁciency and skill in quantitative LC-MS/MS analysis, instrument maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Ability to use own judgement to design and execute independent follow up experiments
- Understanding of analysis and interpretation of complex experimental data with proﬁciency in problem solving and protocol reﬁnement
- Effective communicator (written and verbal), especially within area of expertise
- Emerging knowledge of other related ﬁelds or disciplines within DMPK
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree and 5+ years of relevant employment experience or,
- Masters degree and 2+ years of relevant employment experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.