Commercial Associate Director, Haematology - Spain
The Commercial Associate Director, Haematology - Spain is accountable for developing and implementing the commercial strategy for the Haematology business at the country level. This person is accountable for understanding the market landscape and Vertex's position within the market, leading the country Commercial Haematology team and all business activities aligned with performance goals of the portfolio and tracking performance against those goals. The Commercial Associate Director, Haematology - Spain reports to the Senior Country Manager and becomes part of the Country Leadership Team to contribute to strengthen the local business in alignment with all cross functional team members.
This is a Hybrid role based in Madrid.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing the country commercial strategy for the Haematology business in alignment with the International Commercial strategic objectives
- Shaping and building the Haematology organization by hiring and setting the country vision
- Leading the Commercial Haematology field team
- Understanding the value drivers of Vertex, lead the business and identifying profitable commercial opportunities to grow revenue and market share
- Launching of Vertex’s first investigational genetic therapy for hemoglobinopathies (sickle cell disease - SCD and transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia - TDT) in Spain.
- Developing and maintaining an excellent understanding of key physicians and haematology centres, to ensure that their needs are being met and that their business is retained
- Leading the identification and activation of Authorized Treatment Centres (ATCs) at the country level
- Maintaining an awareness of external factors (including competitors, government business initiatives, current and proposed legislation in relation to commercial activities) which impact the Haematology business
- Championing and leading each new product or service development, from innovation through to successful implementation across each business function, to enable it to become a core part of the business
- Developing and executing multiple digital and educational campaigns for the SCD & TDT patient and HCP communities
- Partnering with VP of International Haematology, IHQ Commercial Haematology team, and international functional leads to shape the international Haematology strategy and brand life-cycle activities
- Contributing to the access and reimbursement strategy in the country
- Ensuring that regular reviews are carried out with customers, to ensure that their needs are being met and that excellent customer service is achieved and, developing future improvements/services for the customers
- Representing the company externally e.g., at networking events, conferences, and exhibitions to enhance and strengthen the company’s profile and optimize all business development opportunities
- Ensuring that all Haematology commercial activities meet or improve on budget, revenue, cost, volume, and efficiency targets (Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)) in line with business objectives
- Implement company policies and procedures ensuring 100% compliance at all times
- Work and collaborate cross-functionally within Vertex and to smooth country operation to ensure that customer needs are met
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in life science, business or marketing
- Strong and successful background in the pharmaceutical industry in sales, marketing or commercial excellence roles, including sales management and/or sales learning and development/coaching roles with supervisory/management experience
- Strong leadership skills being able to demonstrate good people leadership track record and significant experience in the biotech industry dealing with rare diseases
- Knowledge and understanding of the Cell and Gene Therapy is a key requirement.
- Knowledge and understanding of Haematology or rare disease market including the unlicensed medicines
- Knowledge and understanding on the Country Healthcare systems and reimbursement processes for Gene Therapy, Haematology, rare disease market is required
- Solid understanding of the compliance framework with a high level of integrity
- Experience in managing teams and ability to lead and motivate people in a matrix organisation
- Innovative with entrepreneurial flair
- Hands-on approach, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic and fast-growing organization with demonstrated capability to be at ease in a matrix structure with ability to influence
- Strong and successful background in sales and marketing or as a Business Unit lead
- Results driven and passionate about achieving high levels of excellence
- Customer focused
- Ability to oversee generation of insights and apply those insights to business problems/opportunities and make strategic recommendations
- Good communication skills (written and verbal) at all levels and ability to influence at a senior level, both internally and externally
- Ability to build strong external relationships to enhance and strengthen the company’s profile
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategy, make strategic recommendations, and monitor performance
- Strong learning agility, expert negotiating and influencing skills
- Numerate with strong analytical and problem-solving ability, attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills with strong ability to prioritize
- Committed to learning and development
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.