Senior Scientist, Computational Biology
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. As a Computational Biologist, you will work closely with scientists and other computational biologists to analyze NGS genomics data and develop bioinformatics methods to solve exciting and challenging problems in cell and gene therapy, immunology, and stem cell biology. You will develop workflows from raw sequencing data to variant calling and annotation to analyze somatic and germline variants in human genomes. You will analyze genomic data to evaluate genomic integrity of cells for Process Development and Clinical. In partnership with the Analytical Genomics team, you will develop genomic assays and work with the Computational Engineering team to refactor and automate analysis pipelines.
In this role, you will report to the lead of development team in Computational Biology. Effective cross-functional collaboration and communication are essential for success. We are humble in our environment as we learn and teach others genetic and genomics.
What you'll do
- Develop and optimize analysis workflows to analyze NGS and long read sequencing data, including both whole genome sequencing (WGS/WES), targeted sequencing, and bulk/single cell RNA Seq
- Develop novel Bioinformatics methods as needed to answer platform and biological questions to meet company objectives, and demonstrate validity of methods through prototypes and benchmarking using appropriate controls
- Work with other computational biologists and computational engineers to deliver production-level pipelines
- Develop and implement study designs for nonclinical and clinical studies
- Proper documentation of code, workflows, and analyses including study reports for nonclinical and clinical studies and regulatory filings
- Communicate to a broad audience with a range of technical, analytical, and biological expertise and present results on a regular basis at various group meetings
What we're looking for
- PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, genetics, or related discipline with 5+ years of industry experience (or MSc with 8+ years of industry experience)
- Strong scientific background including an understanding of molecular biology and genomics
- Familiarity with NGS platforms and hands-on experience with all steps for analyzing NGS data
- Demonstrated proficiency in script languages such as Python and familiarity with a compiled language such as C/C++ or Java
- Routine use of version control such as git
- Experience with high performance computing
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and problem-solving
- Be detail oriented, self-motivated and able to prioritize multiple projects concurrently
What will separate you from the crowd
- Deep Experience with full cycle of assay development, including characterizing NGS artifacts, troubleshooting in collaboration with wet-lab biologists.
- Experience with variant calling low frequency somatic mutations
- Experience with long read analysis is a plus
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud computing platforms
- Familiarity with Docker and a workflow engine such as Nextflow or snakemake is a plus
What you should know
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $160,000 and $200,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.