Principal Scientist, Gene Editing Process Development and Tech Transfer
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. As a Principal Scientist, Gene Editing Process Development & Tech Transfer, you will report to Gene Editing CMC Team Lead to lead and manage CDMO’s development, optimization, and scale-up of processes for the production of gene editing reagents. Cool stuff.
What you’ll do
- Lead and manage CDMO’s development, optimization, and scale-up of processes for the production of gene editing reagents such as DNA template, sgRNA, protein, and mRNA; ultimately leading to GMP-compliant manufacturing processes for use in early phase and late phase clinical trials
- Lead internal and external cross-functional teams to ensure successful tech transfer, GMP production, and release of gene editing reagents
- Support due diligence of CDMOs and gene editing technologies
- Participate in CMC regulatory activities, including filing and health authority interactions
- Contribute to the gene editing CMC strategy along with other CMC functions
- Manage the translation of research and development programs to GMP manufacturing
What we’re looking for
- BS/BA in molecular biology, genetics biotechnology, or related discipline with 10+ years OR MS/MA with 8+ years OR PhD with 5+ years in gene editing experience
- Technical expertise in processes and manufacturing of gene editing reagents, including but not limited to mRNA, sgRNA, DNA template, nucleases, and relevant analytical methods
- Experience in process and analytical development, tech transfer, manufacturing under cGMP, and process comparability in a regulated environment
- Experience with different modalities of genetically modified cell & gene therapies
What will separate you from the crowd
- Understanding of the state of the art in global regulatory perspectives on gene editing, as well as analytical methods and bioinformatic tools in the space are highly desirable
- Experience in process characterization and validation preferred
What you should know
- Up to 20% travel to CDMOs and other Sana locations
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $170,000 and $200,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.