Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist (Research Lead) Liver, Lung, Metabolic and Eye Disease
Prime Medicine is a leading biotechnology company dedicated to creating and delivering the next generation of gene editing therapies to patients. The Company is leveraging its proprietary Prime Editing platform, a versatile, precise and efficient gene editing technology, to develop a new class of differentiated, one-time, potentially curative genetic therapies. Designed to make only the right edit at the right position within a gene while minimizing unwanted DNA modifications, Prime Editors have the potential to repair almost all types of genetic mutations and work in many different tissues, organs and cell types.
Prime Medicine is currently progressing a diversified portfolio of eighteen programs initially focused on genetic diseases with a fast, direct path to treating patients or with a high unmet need because they cannot be treated using other gene-editing approaches. Over time, the Company intends to maximize Prime Editing’s therapeutic potential and advance potentially curative therapeutic options to patients for a broad spectrum of diseases. For more information, please visit www.primemedicine.com.
We are currently seeking a talented and motivated Research Lead with a strong background and experience in disease biology and preclinical genomics medicine drug development. The successful candidate will involve in the technical and strategic planning of discovery stage preclinical projects, conduct hands-on experiments, manage direct report and collaborate internally and externally in a larger cross-functional research subteam in a matrix manner to generate data that drives go/no-go decisions for the development of therapeutic prime editing candidates. Prior experience in in vivo gene therapy/editing in the lung and liver using viral and/or non-viral gene delivery is preferred. Level will be determined based on prior relevant experiences and achievements. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment where a balance of curiosity to push the scientific forefront while conducting rigorous science to bring prime editing medicines to the patients. This position will report to the Head of Liver, Lung, Metabolic and Eye/Ear (LLME) Disease Unit.
- Understand the disease biology of the indications under investigation in the disease unit, specifically for the lung and liver, and propose appropriate experimental systems to develop prime editors.
- Conduct hands-on experiments to test prime editors components in in vitro (cell lines, primary cells from animal models and/or patient) experimental systems that is relevant to the disease of interests. Analyze, interpret and discuss results with project team.
- Collaborate with the cross-functional team with multiple internal line functions and external collaborators to conduct additional experiments with in vitro and in vivo models to recommend advancement of Prime Editor components for advancement in the drug development paths.
- Participate in teams that evaluate internal and external new technologies to be incorporated into prime editing therapeutic development.
- ELN documentation of results and interpretation in a timely manner to stay in compliance with company policy.
- Present data and project updates in various company and external collaborators meetings.
- Stay up to date on latest competitive landscape, understand standard of care and how the new prime editing drug development could address the unmet medical needs.
- Ph.D. in genetics, molecular biology, pharmacology or related biomedical field with at least 3+ years of industry experience (or at least 5+ years of total relevant experience).
- Experiences and deep knowledge in the development of genomics medicine (gene transfer, gene up/downregulations and/or gene editing with RNA and/or DNA) using viral and/or non-viral approaches in the industry.
- Board knowledge and background in diseases in the lung and/or liver (or using liver is a depot), including relevant cell-based and/or animal models is preferred.
- Proven record of experiences and understanding of internal and external collaboration environment and ability to handle appropriate communications with collaboration with research line functions, alliance and project management, business development and legal.
- Excellent communication skills required for scientific, technical and strategic discussion and presentation
- Ability to work independently and also in cross-functional matrix team settings with strong organizational skills.
- Strong publication and presentation record with extensive knowledge from the literature on relevant topics.
- Highly self-motivated and driven individuals with positive attitude and flexible execution in a fast-paced environment
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.