Machine Learning Intern
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About R&D at Owkin
The Owkin R&D department aims at making new biomedical discoveries building on high-quality datasets. Blending expert data science teams with background in computational biology, medical imaging, biostatistics and federated learning, the department provides solutions in biomarker discovery, drug combination and optimized clinical trials.
We are now looking for promising research interns to help the data science teams in their missions.
About the role
The fundamental machine learning group of Owkin R&D is looking for a promising research intern to focus on scientific and technical challenges arising with ML applications in a biomedical context. More specifically, this internship will be centered around applications of federated learning to genetic data. This internship provides a unique opportunity to study a fast-growing and important field, while also seeing your work used for good on unique real-world data.
As your main missions, you will:
- Collaborate closely with, and receive mentorship from the other members of the R&D;
- Conduct primary research and numerical validation on your topic of study, including re-usable software implementations;
- Contribute to regular research review;
- Report your detailed findings to the group.
You will join a fast-growing, well-funded company with real potential to make an impact on the lives of patients.
This a full time internship position for 5-12 months (final year, gap year, alternance).The role is based in our office in Paris, France.
Required qualifications / experience:
- M1 or M2 level in machine learning;
- Motivation to work at the intersection of healthcare and AI
- Excellence in communication and technical writing
- Experience in Linux/Unix-like environments and Python
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Authorization to work legally in France
- Student status and authorization to work legally in France or the UK for the duration of the internship
Please note that we do not provide visa sponsorship or relocation support for internship roles at Owkin.
Nice to haves:
- Participation in data science projects and competitions
- Fluency with Git and basic software engineering patterns
- Previous work or projects in computational biology (RNAseq, scRNAseq…)
- Contribution to publications in conferences and journals (NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, etc.)
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Internship
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?