Director, Medical Oncology
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
We are strengthening our team with a Director, Medical Oncology to spearhead the company’s oncology research and development activities. Aligned with these plans, the company is strengthening its research and development capability thereby building out its oncology research and development activities and leveraging the strategic collaborations with their major partners.
In particular, you will:
- Direct management responsibility for the Oncology Research Preclinical Research Group
- Work with cross-functional specialists across research, development, and commercial functions to develop and implement strategies for product development to expand and substantiate the company’s portfolio of innovative drugs for oncology;
- Stimulate innovation of improvements, combinations and new therapeutic modalities of the company’s current technology and build the IP portfolio;
- Lead the company’s external Research Collaboration programs within Oncology;
- Lead the company’s global scientific input strategy to gain external scientific/clinical insights and competitive intelligence in support of the company’s Research and Development strategy;
- Sustain the company’s scientific credibility and foster and develop relationships with current and future collaborators including global scientific industrial and academic leaders, and key professional societies and organizations, through relevant bi-directional scientific exchange;
- Guide development of consistent and accurate scientific content in support of the company’s cross-functional projects, advise, and support in interactions with external stakeholders;
- Manage the CRO strategy including selection, budget negotiations and project management;
- Maintain personal expertise in cancer therapy & science to gain external scientific insights in support of our company’s Research and Development strategy;
- Integrate and collaborate closely with all other teams and in particular Business Development, R&D, Data Platform, Strategic Operations, Diagnostics;
- Communicate highly complex projects and make sure all key stakeholders are fully informed and knowledgeable of project activities and their status.
Position is based in our Paris or London offices or remotely.
Required qualifications / experience:
The ideal Director, Medical Oncology will have a scientific pre-clinical research profile with a proven scientific career focused within oncology.You will bring a successful track record in leading pre-clinical and translational research activities for oncological indications to the clinic and be highly familiar with the commercial drug development.
It would be preferential that the Director, Medical Oncology be based in Europe with the flexibility to travel when necessary.
- MD in Medical Oncology with a PhD or equivalent tracked experience in Tumor Biology or related fields. Experienced and published profile within Oncology;
- Experience in Clinical Research;
- Relevant industry experience and/or drug development is a plus;
- Able to analyze and conceptualize a strategy with the judgment, and skills to influence, set direction, generate alignment, as well as balance short-and-long-term needs;
- Prior experience in foster and develop relationships with external partners integrating with internal projects strategically;
- Familiar with the drug development process and vital strategic and commercial touch points;
- Highly intellectually capable with agility and resourcefulness;
- Resourceful, motivated, decisive and proactive; able to prioritize in a fast-growing organization;
- Excellent facilitation and consultative skills; ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders, and to positively influence decision making, at a senior level;
- Excellent interpersonal communication (written and verbal), and results-oriented project management skills;
- Ability to work successfully under minimal supervision, determine personal work plan, and operate independently;
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- An independent and proactive leader who demonstrates confidence and integrity and commands gravitas;
- A collaborative style and able to provide constructive challenge;
- A good listener and communicator who can lead with subtlety, tact, and diplomacy;
- A champion of open and frank discussion with discipline, and can ask the tough questions;
- Level-headed under pressure.
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Education Level:PhD and more
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?