Senior Computational Biologist
Owkin exists to find the right treatment for every patient. Our focus is to use artificial intelligence to discover and develop better treatments for unmet medical needs, starting with the fight against cancer.
In November, Owkin became a 'unicorn' - a startup worth more than $1 billion - through a $180 million investment from pharmaceutical company Sanofi. As a result, we are now looking for the brightest and best talent to help us to go even further in achieving our mission.
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role
As a Senior Computational Biologist at Owkin, you will have a unique opportunity to contribute to the discovery and development of better treatments and to the future of personalised medicine. You will join our fast-growing R&D Data Science organisation and work alongside world-class experts in AI and Biostatistics. Your expertise in (cancer) genomics will allow you to lead and/or contribute to projects in partnership with leading medical institutes and pharmaceutical companies. You will also play a critical role in advancing Owkin’s internal R&D projects.
What you will be doing:
- Engage with external medical doctors or pharma partners to frame projects and drive them through to completion.
- Lead and/or contribute to projects aiming to discover novel drug targets, biomarkers and disease subtypes through reverse translation based on multi-omics patient or pre-clinical data including: genomics, transcriptomics (spatial, single-cell, bulk), proteomics, and others.
- Analyse biomedical datasets using classical or novel omics methods and machine / deep learning algorithms.
- Interpret results and help design validation strategies together with cross-functional teams.
- Collaborate with other members of Owkin’s R&D and Biomedical departments with varied backgrounds (computational biologists, biostatisticians, experts in medical imaging, federated learning, medical doctors, biologists, …).
- Write scientific papers and project reports.
- Participate in Owkin’s internal R&D activities, develop new as well as improve existing methodologies, strive to keep Owkin’s Toolbox to the state-of-the-art.
Who we are looking for:
The successful candidate will have a ‘team-first’ kind of attitude; be independent, curious and detail-attentive; thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; and be fun to work with.
- Be passionate about the intersections of healthcare and AI.
- PhD in either Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biology, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field.
- Additional post-doctoral experience in academia or Biotech / Pharma / Life Science industry, with a focus on drug discovery and/or development.
- Profound knowledge about molecular / cancer biology; ability to independently interpret analysis results.
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or R; ability to ideate and conduct exploratory analyses and data visualisations to aid interpretation.
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts and toolkits such as: cross validation, statistical tests; scikit-learn, xgboost, etc.
- Experience working with omics data and NGS data processing pipelines.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English.
Ways to stand out:
The following are not necessarily required, but would be a plus:
- Prior experience mentoring other scientists.
- Experience with single-cell and spatial omics data analysis.
- Authored journal publications on machine learning / deep learning applied for answering biological / disease questions.
- Knowledge and practical applications of deep learning frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.).
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- contact the following authorities:
- Contract Type:Full-Time
- Education Level:PhD and more
- Possible full remote
Sounds like something made for you?
Something looks off?