One Medical is a primary care solution challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to transform healthcare, which means improving the experience for everyone involved - from patients and providers to employers and health networks. Our seamless in-office and 24/7 virtual care services, on-site labs, and programs for preventive care, chronic care management, common illnesses and mental health concerns have been delighting people for the past fifteen years.
In February 2023 we marked a milestone when One Medical joined Amazon. Together, we look to deliver exceptional health care to more consumers, employers, care team members, and health networks to achieve better health outcomes. As we continue to grow and seek to impact more lives, we’re building a diverse, driven and empathetic team, while working hard to cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive.
At One Medical, we build software that our members use and all the software that our doctors and nurses use to deliver great care. This enables us to build amazing end-to-end solutions to connect patients and our care team in new and innovative ways.
Principal Engineers are both visionary leaders and hands-on builders. As our most senior individual contributors, Principal Engineers work on our hardest problems. Principal Engineers are asked to venture beyond comfortable approaches to pioneer new spaces, and inspire others as to what’s possible. In our collaborative environment we are excited to support others' good ideas at least as much as our own. We strive to pragmatically make continuous, incremental improvements that build off of our existing technology to achieve ambitious outcomes.
We are looking for architects and hands-on builders, who are highly attuned to the technical realities of building and operating high-scale systems for services and data. Our Principal Engineers should have strong technical judgment and influencing skills to facilitate discussions of business critical designs at the Director, VP and SVP level. Additionally they need to support teams in implementing those designs. In short, they should be able to provide both strategic architectural guidance and detailed technical direction while nurturing a continuous delivery culture. You should be able to provide both architectural guidance and detailed technical direction while nurturing a continuous delivery culture.
In our highly collaborative environment, not only will you be partnering with engineers, designers and product managers, you’ll also be sitting shoulder to shoulder with the doctors and nurses who deliver care daily to One Medical patients. You'll work throughout the technology stack and have responsibility for functionality our clinicians and our members rely on every minute of the day.
What you'll work on:
- Develop product and technology architecture and strategy that takes into account our domain needs and existing working systems.
- Leverage your technical expertise and collaborate with our stakeholders and partners to provide counsel to VPE and CTO.
- Influence the direction of the organization, business and product strategy by developing a broad understanding of our domain, business and technology.
- Be a force multiplier for engineering teams by mentoring, hiring and developing our engineering team, leading code/design reviews, and managing resource allocation & planning
- Design and build end to end implementations, including high level architectural design and low level system design leveraging your knowledge of current technologies and market trends.
- Establish and promote appropriate standards and best practices across the entire product development lifecycle and organization.
What you’ll need:
- 15+ years of industry experience with a degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Hands-on experience and capabilities to lead by example and deliver artifacts that set the standard for engineering excellence, from designs to algorithms to implementations
- A track record of successfully delivering technically and organizationally complex projects at scale.
- Ability to go broad and deep across our technology and product platform
- A portfolio of your technical achievements - inventions of new technology product and services, patents, public presentations, blogs, publications, open source contributions
- Are a speaker, committee/board member at industry relevant conferences/associations
- Are publicly or industry wide known in your field of expertise
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or experience deploying into other cloud services
- Experience with distributed architecture and technologies to build highly scalable and resilient systems based on services and APIs
Not required, but would be great if:
- You are a Principal Engineer or similar senior engineering role at a large enterprise scale company or if you are a CTO at a start-up with a career trajectory that includes IC roles of increasing responsibility and impact.
- You have experience and/or knowledge of healthcare technology, standards and systems
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program - Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs - Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Extra contributions toward maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance - One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time remote role based in the United States. One Medical is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The base salary range for this role is $179,000 to $315,000 per year. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. The total compensation package for this position may also include annual performance bonus, RSUs, benefits and/or other applicable incentive compensation plans. For more information, visit https://www.onemedical.com/careers/
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
One Medical participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please refer to the E-Verification Poster (English/Spanish) and Right to Work Poster (English/Spanish) for additional information.