Corporate Controller (Residing in DC)
Accounting & Finance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
Equip is the leading virtual, evidence-based eating disorder treatment program on a mission to ensure that everyone with an eating disorder can access treatment that works. Created by clinical experts in the field and people with lived experience, Equip builds upon evidence-based treatments to empower individuals to reach lasting recovery. All Equip patients receive a dedicated care team, including a therapist, dietitian, physician, and peer and family mentor. The company operates in all 50 states and is partnered with most major health insurance plans. Learn more about our strong outcomes and treatment approach at www.equip.health
Founded in 2019, Equip has been a fully virtual company since its inception and is proud of the highly-engaged, passionate, and diverse Equisters that have created Equip’s culture. Recognized by Time as one of the most influential companies of 2023, along with awards from Linkedin and Lattice, we are grateful to Equipsters for building a sustainable treatment program that has served thousands of patients and families.
The Controller will assume a pivotal role on our financial leadership team, guiding our corporate accounting functions with excellence and precision. Reporting directly to the CFO, the Controller will lead our day-to-day accounting operations and mentor and develop a high-performing team. This is a highly visible role to various levels of management and one that will be instrumental in supporting Equip in its next phase of growth and maturity. Not only will you need to roll up your sleeves and get into the details, but you will also be a strategic thinker with an ability to see the bigger picture and influence change. We are looking for a skilled leader, who can connect with people, collaborate effectively, and manage multiple workstreams.
The Controller will be responsible for all areas relating to general accounting and financial reporting at Equip, including oversight of month-end close and related financial reporting, ownership of interim and year-end audits and management of relationships with external auditors, directing our tax planning and compliance efforts, support of budgeting and forecasting activities, payroll, and accounts payable. Additionally, this position will require developing and maintaining Equip’s accounting infrastructure, practices, and procedures. The Controller will be mandated to professionalize corporate functions while raising the standard for policies and controls as a strategic partner to the CFO. A CPA with a strong technical background in general accounting and in-depth knowledge of specific accounting policies is essential to ensure the timeliness, accuracy, and compliance of our financial practices.
In addition to technical responsibilities, the Controller will play a key role in identifying opportunities for process enhancement and will actively collaborate with other departments to facilitate cross-functional synergies. Ideally, the Controller will have background experience in a healthcare provider or services setting along with previous audit experience with a Big 4 public accounting firm.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a challenging, fast-paced, and growth-focused environment. If you are a finance leader seeking a multi-faceted and impactful position, we invite you to join our dedicated team at Equip Health.
- List below:
- Manage external auditor relationships and audit procedures.
- Establish, implement, manage, and monitor critical accounting policies and processes. Identify areas to improve the Company’s control environment.
- Direct the tax strategy, planning, and compliance across jurisdictions. Manage relationship with external tax advisors. Manage timely preparation of tax workpapers for the tax provision and return preparation.
- Drive timely month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes, including reviewing journal entries/reconciliations, running cross-functional close meetings, and completing flux reviews and close package and financial reporting.
- Analyze and clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial results to management. Partner closely with Strategic Finance to ensure accuracy of financial data. Research and resolve all significant accounting matters that may arise.
- Manage the setup and management of new and existing entities and corporate structures.
- Provide direct oversight to the corporate accounting team, including various responsibilities.
- Lead, mentor, and develop accounting operations teams, which are responsible for revenue, general ledger, close/consolidation, accounts payable, payroll, and financial reporting.
- Review, interpret, and apply technical accounting guidance. Draft technical accounting memos and policy documents as necessary. Provide expertise and manage technical accounting decision making in multiple key areas, including revenue recognition, software capitalization, stock compensations, and leases.
- Provide technical guidance across the business related to GAAP, Tax, and Statutory reporting.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on specific accounting policies.
- Build systems and processes that concurrently enhance efficiency and elevate the quality of the final output with a focus on user-friendliness.
- Collaborate with broader Finance and Operations organizations to analyze financial performance, provide recommendations to leadership on improvements, and support key decision making.
- Drive process improvements to continue to accelerate close cycle and automate workflows.
- Identify opportunities for efficiency in department processes. Design and implement solutions, including workflow enhancements and automation of manual processes.
- Serve as the Company’s expert on accounting matters and collaborate with other departments on accounting-related matters.
- Works collaboratively across the organization to address issues.
- Support new strategic initiatives by working cross-functionally to manage risk and build and maintain scalable accounting processes.
- Enhance functionality of the Company’s G/L system and implement other systems and tools to improve department productivity. Lead systems administrator for various accounting-related systems.
Financial Management and Compliance:
Team Oversight and Leadership:
Technical Expertise and Guidance:
Development of Processes and Systems that are Simple, Scalable, and Business Friendly:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 10+ years’ of progressive experience with leadership roles at Series C+, late-stage private, public, and/or public accounting firms
- CPA required
- Deep understanding of U.S. GAAP and financial reporting requirements with strong knowledge of internal controls, technical accounting, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal tax regulation
- Proven experience in designing, implementing, streamlining, and documenting financial controls and processes, and building systems
- Experience coordinating audit activities and managing financial reporting, analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and regulatory compliance
- Strong project management skills which include high attention to detail and ability to prioritize and lead critical initiatives on concurrent timelines
- Exemplary interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with high visibility to executive leadership
- Excellent presentation and organization skills
- Possess a collaborative style with the ability to deliver complex, technical accounting concepts that can be easily understood by varying levels of management and cross-functional teams
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, and efficient
- Exceptionally strong judgment and integrity
- Experience building, mentoring, motivating, and leading high-performing teams and attracting and retaining top talent
- Preferred experience with Professional Corporation structures in medical and healthcare contexts
- Preferred experience in healthcare provider / services settings
- Preferred experience with fundraising and M&A and integration activities
- Preferred experience working with our tools, specifically: Netsuite, Carta, ADP, etc.
- The position is a virtual, remote work position; however, preference is for candidates to live within the D.C. or Mid-Atlantic area to allow for frequent in-person interaction with CFO. Limited travel may be required.
Compensation and Benefits:
Equip offers competitive compensation and benefits programs as well as, career development opportunities, and exciting team retreats to ensure community and connection. The Talent Acquisition team will provide candidates with our benefit guide and share compensation information beyond posted bands. Below we have highlighted a list of some of our most popular benefits.
Short and long term incentives, including yearly bonus potential
Remote work from home
Flexible PTO & Leave programs
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Wellness and reproductive care programs
401k retirement savings plan
Home office set-up stipend
Co-working monthly stipend
Equal Employment Opportunity:
At Equip, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in healthcare. As an equal opportunity employer, we provide equal opportunity in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and promotion, termination, and any other terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, familial status, age, weight, disability and/or any other legally protected classification protected by federal, state, or local law.