Software Engineer, Full Stack
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Our engineering team is comprised of the Applications pillar, the Platform pillar, and the Infrastructure pillar. The Applications Team builds the product modules used daily by scientists to work with their data inside Benchling. This includes DNA editing tools, an electronic lab notebook, sample tracking, workflow design, in vivo study management and more.
- Drives designs & releases major sections of multiple initiatives.
- Leverages new technology & advances the product and business goals.
- Designs technical solutions and plans for open-ended problems.
- Writes extremely well-documented and well-tested code that follows company best practices.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement backend models and API endpoints for complex scientific workflows.
- Design and implement rich frontend components and architecture. We build and operate one of the largest, richest React applications out there and power complex scientific analyses.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and sales to ensure the right context is being shared.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- Have 3-7 years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Willing to work onsite in our Belfast office 3 days a week.
- Java & Spring Boot, TypeScript & React a bonus.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Pension Plan
- Medical, dental and vision premium coverage for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Remote perks incl. travel to hubs
- 23 days vacation days + public holidays
- Company-wide Spring & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.