Software Engineer, Full Stack (Workflows)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is on a mission to unlock the power of biotechnology. To do that, we’re building a suite of software tools that scientists use daily to solve humanity's most pressing problems. These tools save scientists valuable time in data capture, quality assurance, and analysis, across research, development, and manufacturing tasks.
Regardless of the actual science being done, scientific work is a collaborative multi-step process. This work requires coordination across various teams over the course of days or even weeks, and tracking progress can be complicated, tedious, and manual. The mission of the Workflows team is to enable scientists to easily track, manage, and optimize their multi-step processes in one place. By handling all of the process management for them, we make it easier for scientists to focus on just getting their work done.
We’ve built a system that models scientific work and business decisions as nodes in a directed graph through which biological data flows. We’re now working on making this graph even more powerful by adding nodes that automate software actions (e.g. sending notifications) and can fine-tune the flow of data (e.g. plasmids should be paired with vectors for transfection). Other teams at Benchling are also starting to build on top of our graph and scientific work models to power their product experiences.
- Own projects full-stack and end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout
- Help evolve our product, in-place, to add platform functionality that powers other Benchling user flows
- Develop more powerful graph functionality (i.e. nodes that automate) to improve both the Workflows product and the Workflows product platform
- Work closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and sales to ensure the right context is being shared
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring
- 2+ years of experience in software development
- Strong problem solving abilities and are able to iterate on feedback
- Enjoy owning and building key pieces of product
- Interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must)
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $134,000 - $182,000.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.