Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling brings best-in-breed data infrastructure to the world's leading biotech companies. As an Infrastructure Engineer, you'll shape our platform for agility, performance, and security. Our SRE team empowers growth, ensuring reliability and scalability for the future. Join us as we expand, building data pipelines, event queues, and automation.
We're seeking experienced engineers, particularly those skilled in Postgres, to join our dynamic Platform team. Collaborate with former Stripe, Google, and Facebook engineers to create a robust backbone for our platform, enabling new forms of automation and integration in the life science space. Your work will be pivotal as we grow alongside our global user base, providing highly reliable and trusted infrastructure.
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure hosted on AWS
- Build developer-facing systems to test, build, and deploy Benchling’s software
- Define and implement our infrastructural security posture
- Develop monitoring/observability and automation as part of a lean operations function
- Define and lead processes for site reliability that will be used across Engineering and Customer Experience
- These are examples of projects we've worked on in the past or may work on in the near future - our projects are often changing, but this will hopefully give you an idea of the work to be done.
- Iterating on our tenancy model and architecture to build out resource isolation, data segmentation, and deployment models as we scale our customer base.
- Building a test and deploy pipeline on Buildkite - we have a large test suite and a large number of Benchling instances and need tools to deploy faster while maintaining the same degree of reliability.
- Improving network performance for global users - this is an open-ended problem which needs to be solved as our user base becomes increasingly international.
- Observability - mature our monitoring, tracing, and alerting systems so we have the right dashboards, notifications, and tools to quickly identify and resolve operational issues.
- Automating remediation of fault conditions to improve overall reliability and eliminate repetitive operational tasks.
- Building tooling and infrastructure for a more modular/service-based architecture - we're not religious about microservices or monoliths, but we plan to scale our architecture with our engineering team.
- Have 5 or more years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability engineer, or Software Engineer building platform infrastructure.
- Have 3 or more years working with PostgreSQL databases with significant query complexity and data volume.
- Have experience with deployment and configuration management frameworks such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef; with CI/CD systems such as BuildKite or Jenkins; and with containers and container management systems such as Kubernetes or Amazon ECS.
- Understand cloud computing, virtualization, and microservices architectures. Experience with major cloud platforms, especially AWS, is a plus.
- Write clear, well-tested code in Python, Java, Go, or Ruby.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $157,150 to $212,750.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.