Scientist, Vector Sciences (Vector Design)
At AviadoBio our mission is to transform the lives of people living with neurodegenerative disorders by developing and delivering transformative gene therapies for diseases including frontotemporal dementia (FTD) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
The company’s technology is based on pioneering research of Professor Christopher Shaw, Professor of Neurology and Neurogenetics, Kings College London, with the support of UK Dementia Research Institute. With support from leading life science investors our experienced and talented team is poised to make a meaningful impact to people living with neurodegenerative disease.
We are rapidly building a passionate team that can help deliver on this mission. It is a great time to join what is a truly innovative and exciting gene therapy company at an early stage; where your work will be impactful and you will benefit from a collaborative, inclusive, open and friendly working environment that promotes both professional development and fun.
There is a tangible air of excitement and an unwavering belief that the work we do each day will contribute to patients.
AviadoBio are looking for a talented Scientist I or Scientist II (Vector Science) to develop AAV Vector Design and Vectorology. This will include:
- Function representative for many projects which entails designing & ordering project specific constructs, relaying project decisions to my team & working cross functionally to meet project goals
- The hands-on development of cassette discovery pipelines, establishment of tools and technologies required for cassette discovery, and characterization of variants included promoter, poly A and enhancements.
- Introduce new procedures and innovations to improve workflow and discovery. Identify and develop new AAV applications, keeping up-to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Developing assays used for evaluation and characterization of viral vectors used in both research and manufacturing pipelines
- Delivering high-value data and supporting all aspects of Vector design and development; playing an integral part in company’s Platform strategy
- Collaborate closely with other functions to enable effective and successful project development; actively engage in cross-functional collaboration with peers to overcome challenges
It’s a wonderful opportunity to join a talented team of scientists in what is a truly exciting gene therapy company. You will get exposure to cutting-edge vector design and play a key role in the development of our innovative and life-changing products.
- Design Viral vector and production of AAV then testing the potency and impurity of the vectors
- Design an execution and oversight of in-house stability and compatibility programs
- Support work involving external collaborations and CROs.
- Preparation and presentation of results at internal and external meetings and for publication
- Ability to work independently and lead and motivate others
- High proficiency in basic analytical methods, including ELISA, ddPCR, Q-PCR, Western, FACS and cell-based potency assay.
- Cloning and Plasmid preparation
- To support early candidate evaluation and subsequent selection.
- Ensure all required documentation and experimental write-ups are completed and approved in a timely manner.
- Interface and collaborate with other functional teams in Discovery and Vector science, Cell Line development, Upstream; Downstream, Operation, CRO/CMO outsourcing in planning, execution, and technical trouble shooting
- A PhD-degree or MSc in Biotechnology, Bioprocess engineering, Immunology, Cell/ Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline.
- Some experience in the biotech industry preferred.
- Scientific training and background in one or more of the following areas: Cell and Gene therapy, preparation of peptide display/variant libraries, novel barcoding and next generation sequencing techniques, bioinformatics, high through-put screening assays for AAV variants or other gene delivery technologies.
- Strong knowledge in molecular biology and synthetic biology/ bioinformatics is highly desirable.
- Build strong working relationships with enabling functions, including IP, Legal, Business Development and team to ensure the optimal environment for the delivery of objectives
- Strong critical, scientific, and strategic thinking skills; problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Competitive Salary
- Annual Bonus
- Exciting Equity Plan
- Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Childcare/Nursery scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Discount club
- Gym benefits
- Life Insurance
- Career Development Opportunities