Associate Scientist II, Oligonucleotide Chemistry
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust and growing internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta Therapeutics is seeking a motivated Associate Scientist to join the Chemistry team to assist with the preparation of oligonucleotides for drug discovery. The Associate Scientist will work as part of a team on various projects that are critical in advancing our research and development efforts, using specialized equipment to produce high-quality compounds and analyzing data to facilitate process optimization. This individual will deliver oligonucleotides for research experiments, help maintain and troubleshoot equipment, and collaborate with cross-functional teams in a cutting-edge laboratory environment. Successful candidates will have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an eagerness to learn and contribute to a dynamic team environment.
- Operate specialized oligonucleotide synthesizers (e.g., Dr.Oligo, AKTA Oligopilot, Mermade) with oversight to create high-quality oligonucleotides
- Assist in developing processes and methods for synthesizing, deprotecting, and purifying chemically modified oligonucleotides
- Use HPLC and LC-MS for purifying and analyzing synthetic oligonucleotides as well as assist in instrument maintenance and troubleshooting
- Measure compounds spectroscopically for in vitro and in vivo experiments
- Aid in the production of oligonucleotides for research and drug development programs based on priorities and timelines
- Contribute to implementing quality control mechanisms and monitoring systems for consistent and reliable oligonucleotide production
- Support in maintaining and repairing essential equipment and systems to ensure reliable operation
- Assist in the stewardship of data reporting processes to maintain an inventory of synthesized oligonucleotides
- Work in close collaboration with cross-functional team members in a fast paced environment
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with a minimum of 2-5 years of professional work experience -OR- a Master’s degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with a minimum of 0-2 years of professional work experience.
- Previous experience in preparation of in vitro and in vivo dosing solutions is desirable
- Experience operating LC-MS and HPLC
- Ability to conduct quality control assays and analyses to verify purity, identity, and integrity of laboratory compounds
- Automation experience to streamline repetitive tasks is desirable
- Experience using oligonucleotide synthesis equipment is preferred
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills are essential
- A strong commitment to scientific integrity and laboratory excellence is required
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.