Associate Scientist II/Senior Associate Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust and growing internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Associate/Senior Associate Scientist to join the in vivo pharmacology group to support Atalanta’s drug discovery programs. This individual will have extensive hands-on experience in performing survival surgeries (stereotaxic or direct intraparenchymal injection preferred), pharmacological administration, brain and tissue collection, and in processing CNS tissue and molecular analysis to assess target gene and protein expression. We are seeking candidates who thrive in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary biotech environment.
The Associate/Senior Associate Scientist will be responsible for assay development and execution of experiments to determine the biodistribution, pharmacodynamic properties and efficacy of oligonucleotides in research and preclinical studies supporting multiple drug discovery programs and platform discovery research.
- Work closely with pharmacology team members to design and execute assays to assess the pharmacological activity, biodistribution and efficacy of oligos in research and preclinical studies to support development of oligonucleotide therapies for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Perform test article dosing via various administration routes (e.g. brain stereotactic injection, intrathecal injection, and systemic administration including I.V. I.P and I.M), animal perfusion and tissue harvesting.
- Perform various molecular and biochemical assays on tissue samples from preclinical studies for a variety of CNS drug development programs, including quantitative and qualitative analysis of target mRNAs and proteins.
- Manage tissue analysis and oversee the transfer and storage of samples from rodent and large animal studies performed at Atalanta or at external CRO facilities.
- Independent analysis and interpretation of data, careful documentation of experiments and presentation of results within the company
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2-5 years of industry and/or academic experience OR a Master’s degree with a minimum of 0-2 years of industry and/or academic experience; Position level commensurate with experience
- Hands-on experience conducting in vivo studies and should be skilled in rodent surgeries (including stereotactic and intrathecal surgeries/injections highly preferable, but not required) dosing (e.g. -IV, IP, SC, IM), behavioral assays and rodent necropsy techniques.
- Demonstrated experience conducting in vivo rodent behavior studies.
- Hands-on experience in molecular and biochemical assays including tissue DNA/RNA isolation, qRT-PCR, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, and tissue imaging by microscopy.
- Experience in CNS tissue harvesting and processing including rodent brain collection, sample collection from large animal brain and spinal cord, and tissue homogenization experience is preferred.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, excellent organization skills with strong attention to detail is required.
- Ability to adapt and exercise flexibility for changing platform needs, workflows and projects.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.