Oncology Data Spec II
Join one of the nation’s leading and most impactful health care performance improvement companies. Over the years, Health Catalyst has achieved and documented clinical, operational, and financial improvements for many of the nation’s leading healthcare organizations. We are also increasingly serving international markets. Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
Role: Oncology Data Specialist II
Team: Tech-Enabled Managed Services (TEMS)
Location: US Hawaii
Travel: None Anticipated
What you own in this role:
This position will be responsible for abstraction and data entry of all cancer patients in accordance with established standards, policies, and regulations related to cancer surveillance and hospital cancer programs. Maintains aspects of the Oncology Data Registry (Cancer Registry) according to state law, the Commission on Cancer (COC), American College of Surgeons, all regulatory standards and reporting guidelines. The position will actively participate in the compliance requirements to maintain the American College of Surgeons’ accreditation and the Annual Report for the hospital cancer program.
The following functions describe the essential duties of this role. Individuals in this role may not perform all these duties, or may perform additional, related duties not listed here.
1. Aligns all work and resource management with Health Catalyst’s mission, cultural attributes and operating principles.
2. Performs data collection, coding, and abstracting functions in accordance with established guidelines and licensure requirements. Maintains audit and quality assurance processes for case findings, abstracting, coding, follow-up and data processing procedures.
3. Performs necessary case finding functions to ensure the complete ascertainment of eligible cases. Multiple functions include the capture of pathology/cytology reports from the pathology department, review and categorization of said reports in determining case reportability, maintenance and updating of monthly disease indices.
4. Performs at least annual follow-up on each case in the registry from a computer-generated monthly report and information sent from any other sources (follow-up letters from patients, RHC notifications, clinics, change of address, obituaries, etc.). updates physician contact sources. Prepares reports as requested and maintains request log.
5. Performs patient follow-up mail out functions to include printing letters, filling envelopes, mailing letters, tracking responses, and processing responses to include the data entry and maintenance of the follow up data into appropriate computer systems.
6. Makes follow-up phone calls to physician offices as needed.
7. Perform quality check of abstracts following the COC requirements, and report to cancer committee.
8. Works cohesively with team members to ensure delivery of outstanding customer service, in a positive work environment, that supports the department’s ongoing goals and objectives.
9. Maintain current industry standards and requirement for the Cancer Registry.
10. Assists with survey preparation.
11. Submits data to the state and American College of Surgeons as required.
12. Member of the Cancer Committee and reports registry activity at quarterly meeting.
13. Completion of continuing education required to meet cancer program standards/maintain CTR certification
What you bring to this role:
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to prioritize.
- Must work well at times with little supervision.
- Must work well under constantly changing and stressful situations.
- Demonstrated ability in effective verbal and written communication, creativity, flexibility, and problem-solving.
- Ability to establish partnerships with customers to accomplish the goals of the work.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Microsoft Office products including but not limited to Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn to operate fax machine, copier, printer, etc.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn how to navigate various cancer registry databases and electronic health records, including but not limited to Metriq, Rock Mountain, etc.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Current Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) Certification Required
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
Studies show that candidates from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for roles if they don’t have 100% of the qualifications shown in the job posting. While each of our roles have core requirements, please thoughtfully consider your skills and experience and decide if you are interested in the position. If you feel you may be a good fit for the role, even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we hope you will apply. If you feel you are lacking the core requirements for this position, we encourage you to continue exploring our careers page for other roles for which you may be a better fit.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.