Staff Software Engineer (Scala)
Who Are We?
There are over 30M small businesses in the United States, but only a tiny fraction of them have a workplace savings program in place. As the savings gap in the country widens, it’s imperative that every worker has access to and participates in their company’s savings program, such as a 401(k) or 403(b). We believe that American workers should have easy access to an inexpensive, flexible, and intuitive solution to save for a brighter future.
Unfortunately, prior to Vestwell, small businesses have been neglected and underserved, with expensive, inflexible, poorly designed offerings built on old, mainframe software. Vestwell is changing that, starting with rebuilding the core infrastructure for the modern era.
Vestwell’s north star is to be the engine behind a $30T industry, powering all payroll-deducted workplace savings programs for small-to-midsize businesses, such as 401(k), 403(b), IRA, emergency savings accounts (ESA), health savings accounts (HSA), 529 college savings, and alike.
Vestwell’s focus is to build the most flexible, powerful workplace savings and investment platform, delivered through the hands and minds of their financial services partners with the help of payroll provider partners. The team at Vestwell makes the hard stuff look easy, by combining the expertise of financial advice with the sophistication of a technology provider.
As a result, workplace providers are able to bestow the advice and solution employers and employees have been asking for, while growing and scaling along the way. Employers get a cost-effective solution designed for their needs without all the headaches, and employees get a user-friendly portal that helps them achieve their long-term saving goals.
With backing from leading FinTech investors, as well as a growing team of dedicated professionals of strong industry pedigree, Vestwell is at the forefront of a much-needed change in a 40-year old industry. Our team believes in the mission we’ve set out to achieve and we are working hard to get there. We’re ambitious, honest, thoughtful, and fun.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The Engineering team is seeking an experienced Technologist and Software Engineer, with experience in Product feature development and Architecture who can be effective on all levels of our Engineering stack, and is willing to play all necessary roles such as architect, tech lead, code reviewer, Agile coach, and mentor.
In short, we want to bring experienced Software Engineers in to make key decisions regarding technology, architecture, and software.
You’re a great fit for our team if you can balance detail-oriented tasks with long term strategy and scale initiatives. Most of all, you must be passionate about what you create and about the impact it can have. That matters to us, a lot.
- Create and maintain optimal software supporting Product initiatives and features
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product and Operations teams to support their Product development needs
- Provide production support
- Train junior engineers
- Proactively drive the vision for architecture and design across multiple product verticals
- Build and manage a high quality Software Engineering team
- Manage the delivery of high impact development solutions
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Expertise with Scala and functional languages
- Experience with REST and the Akka framework
- Experience with Slick functional relational mapping tool
- Advanced knowledge Agile practices
- Working knowledge of CICD and corresponding such as Git, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience mentoring more junior engineers
- Experience with relational databases such as Postgres
- Data Architecture experience
- Experience with AWS cloud services
- Demonstrated experience with Software Architecture and Design
- Experience working with and supporting cross functional teams
- Experience with fintech, particularly Managed Accounts, 401k, and/or record keeping
- Have worked in a startup environment
- Experience with UI technologies such as React and Angular
- Experience ETL/ELT pipelines
- Working knowledge of Snowflake
- CS Degree
We take a modern Agile approach to web development, trusting cross-functional squads to make bottom up decisions in terms of roadmap prioritization, technical choices, and day-to-day processes.
We want squads to be first class citizens, working as a team to define their roadmap and prioritization, that follows best practices in development, automation testing, deploying, and support.
The expected salary range for this position is $165K - $185K with a bonus variable. Please note that salary bands are based on NY and other similar metro areas and may differ based on where the role is ultimately hired.
We’re a growth stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and in addition to a dedicated Employee Wellbeing Committee, we offer competitive health coverage and an open vacation policy. We have adopted a remote-hybrid office policy, but all employees are welcome at our bright, comfortable office with many workspace options in midtown Manhattan so everyone has a setting that is the most productive for them. We provide our team with all the equipment they need (plus a few perks!) to work effectively remotely. Oh, and naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!