Corporate Counsel Hybrid
We are seeking an exceptional corporate attorney to join the Business Transactions team at the company’s world headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts. The team is committed to a trusting and collaborative culture where we value excellence, professionalism, growth and development. We engage proactively with our business colleagues and their challenges and goals to deliver results for our company and our patients.
The individual in this position will primarily provide internal clients in the clinical development and operations organizations with practical, risk-appropriate and timely legal advice and support, focusing on transactional support. Additionally, this individual will provide transactional support to other functions, such as Vertex’s commercial and G&A organizations, on an as-needed basis.
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts for the company’s clinical development and operations organizations to support multiple clinical programs in a range of disease areas across North America. Draft, negotiate and review contracts for the company’s global medical affairs and global regulatory affairs organizations. Contracts include clinical vendor/CRO services agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and sponsored testing agreements.
- Interpret existing contracts and advise on contract interpretation issues.
- Coordinate input from relevant internal stakeholders (e.g., privacy, compliance, finance).
- Efficiently coordinate with and manage outside counsel on complex matters.
- Support department-wide initiatives such as contracting process improvements and contract template updates.
- Proactively prevent or minimize legal risk to the company and help drive legal strategy to align and achieve business strategic goals.
- Devote significant time to department or company initiatives, projects or committees outside area of legal expertise.
- At least 3 years of experience with contracts in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, including clinical contracts, in-house or at a law firm
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in at least one US jurisdiction
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; ability to exercise sound judgment in resolving matters of moderate complexity or escalating matters appropriately
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritize competing projects and priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively on matrixed teams and co-lead teams as appropriate
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.